Review: Moment 58mm Tele smartphone camera lens

Unfortunately, I don’t have a telephoto lens adapter anymore (there was… an incident), but Consumer Reports, which I think is pretty reliable, found lenses at this price point to generally be better than optical zoom.

They didn’t test this specific brand, and I wish that Seamus had done a comparison, but I feel like his results are pretty consistent with what I’ve seen more generally, though I’d very interested to see his preprocessed image. But more generally, people’s eyes don’t pick up on a lot of the kinds of distortions that technically lower the quality of the image, I think effective resolution is such a key criteria for telephoto shots that even fairly severe distortions might represent an improvement over digital zoom.

(Can you tell that I despise digital zoom? That I think it should never be a feature on any product anyone ever buys? That I hope whoever invented it goes to a warm place when they die?)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.