Revisiting the Mavica, Sony's 1997 floppy disk digital camera

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/13/revisiting-the-mavica-sonys.html

9 Likes

What a fantastic historical oddity; like finding a wax-cylinder walkman.

6 Likes

Inevitably, hipsters will get into using these things.

4 Likes

There was also the Mavica MVC-CD200-500s that burned images directly onto a CD, which naturally created some pretty funky-looking cameras.

7 Likes

I coveted one of these so much. Could never afford one, I still think they are cool.

4 Likes

The very first digital picture I took was on a Mavica!

3 Likes

I used one of these for taking pictures for a web page back in the day. The floppies were actually a pretty slick move on Sonys part. Everybody had these laying around free from AOL and many others. There was also a CD-R version IIRC it took about a half hour to initialize the CD-R. Since the web was low rez back then these cameras were quite useful.

4 Likes

My first digital camera was one of the earlier Mavicas, and could only get 640x480 - but it had a 10x optical zoom, and the picture quality was consistently great, for that resolution.

Fond memories…

3 Likes

giving me memories of my Sony Mini-Disc data drive…

1 Like

Oh man, my brother and I were into MiniDiscs — what a great media format!

1 Like

I have a friend who still uses her Mavica to sell items on eBay. It has held up amazingly well.

3 Likes

The one we had at my office would eat batteries if you didn’t use rechargeable ones. I think we would only get 10-20 pictures on standard AAs.

1 Like

I have an old CD-500, that burns the image directly to a rewritable miniature CD, that I actually still use sometimes at work, although it gives me a little trouble formatting sometimes and will only work with a Sony brand CD. The images are passable for what I’m doing with it, and shooting video is much easier than with my Nikon. It’s like having a giant phone that doesn’t connect to the internet, make calls, or get texts, but has a tripod socket.

2 Likes

If memory serves, the legacy of these lived on in some of Sony’s early ‘memory stick’ based cameras(or maybe it was just the dual floppy/memory stick ones, memory does not entirely serve): the firmware would balk at individual files that were too large to fit on a floppy, even if shooting to a larger medium.

They obviously got that sorted out reasonably quickly; but it was a slightly awkward transition.

2 Likes

Ah, the Ghost of Internet Past…

My first digital camera was this:

1 Like

I’ve still got one of these in storage, with complete accessories:

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/37843/Canon-ion-RC-260/

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Canon_RC-260

(If anyone is interested…)

1 Like

I had a mini disc recorder/player too - still have a pile of them with music on them that I have not touched since the player died.

1 Like

It would have been polite to have given LGR a credit in your text rather than just precis-ing his work.

1 Like

He does a whole lot of really great work.

1 Like

I had one of these. Took hundreds of photos of my 1999 honeymoon in Italy. Drove my wife crazy but she loves that I have all these images, still, from that trip. They still just fine, a bit Impressionistic, but often perfectly fine.

Here’s Venice, 18 years ago, seen from a Mavica.

16%20-4%20and%2017%20-1%20Venice%20%2313E

7 Likes