RIAA launches legal campaign against YouTube download sites

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/29/riaa-launches-legal-campaign-against-youtube-download-sites.html

4 Likes

So according to them, a tool that can be used to do something illegal is illegal.
I don’t think the folks at Colt, Ruger, et al would agree.

23 Likes

What are they gonna do when they find out I listen to their song once and sing it to myself for eternity gratis?

12 Likes

Fuck these dudes.

8 Likes

The RIAA and the MPAA are scum.

11 Likes

Or Stanley tools, or the company that makes Oneida silverware, or the Swingline stapler company. Honestly, at one point or another I’m sure we’ve all been tempted to bludgeon someone with our desk stapler. I’m thinking about someone from the RIAA right now …

4 Likes

If making all youtube content non-downloadable/uncopiable means abolishing all firearms (cops’ too!) them I’m all for it.

2 Likes

They better begin the process of proving they cannot do anything illegal then…

1 Like

Naw, I say that they’re guilty. Lock the door and throw away the key.

Please don’t make me go back to the days of looking for the file in my cache and copying it.

3 Likes

When tools that can be used to do something are illegal are used by tools to do something illegal, the tools should be thrown in jail.

1 Like

Lobotomy.

2 Likes

I did not know about youtube-dl until today. Super slick! Thanks, RIAA!

8 Likes

Barbara Streisand is smiling – especially now that you’re able to download one of her songs.

4 Likes

3 Likes

I use NewPipe on android for my downloading…
(it breaks about every 3 weeks as Youtube “updates” things, but they are quick to fix it.)

So where exactly is the issue for Youtube? Not getting their endless excessive ad monies? Because if that’s the case why wouldn’t the VCR had been made illegal for time shifting and fast forwarding over commercials?

1 Like

Yes, exactly that.

If it was feasible, they would have pursued, just like what they did with the anti-piracy and other bullshit at the beginning of every commercial DVD.

3 Likes

I think their playback is mostly “windowed” now, so you’ll only get part of the file?

NewPipe is great but like you say it breaks frequently because of youtube’s nonsense. Super easy to download a copy as well, when it works!

Youtube has also broken for Humax users for several weeks now due to changes on youtube’s end and no fix in sight. I also had to spend some time farting about with the element picker for uBlock Origin when they started showing those annoying popups to sign in and accept cookies.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.