Rite-Aid dares you to steal this candy bar

They’re not, but usually they’re used on items that cost more than US$5, such as a bottle of medicine or a box of condoms.

6 Likes

So you’re white then. :neutral_face:

10 Likes

So called “petty theft” is a big deal and will cause stores to close. When the store closes the neighborhood loses the jobs that went it along with any services it provided. Margins on typical grocery items are razor thin. That store may have to sell 100 candy bars to honest customers to recover the money lost to the one stolen by some douchebag.

I have seen uniformed security guards in Dollar Stores. They would not incur this expense if theft wasn’t hurting them.

There is no such thing as “petty” theft. Stealing is stealing.

4 Likes

the ones in service when I was young and invincible were routinely defeated by a large sheet of aluminum foil, folded in half and then slightly along both edges to make a bag. cover the outside in duct tape to prevent tears. then you can fold it up and keep it in your pocket until such time for deployment. mine was the length of one of those CD long-cases.

5 Likes

Why in god’s name you would want to steal a hershey bar though is an exercise best left to the reader.

11 Likes

Nah, we used to just stone them. It’s relatively recently we learned how to expand societies power networks.

2 Likes

You prove my point. Thanks!

4 Likes

I do wonder if a $25 item(or more) left the store before it donated its radio tag to the poor under appreciated chocolate bar.

9 Likes

my friend works in grocery, it’s typically a 36% margin or more. candy tends to be higher, more like 40 or 50. so two stolen bars to every one sold bar to break even.

now what’s really bad is when someone steals steaks from your backstock. that’s like walking with hundreds.

6 Likes

I’ve seen someone walk out of a shop with as many Mach 3 razor refills as he could fit in either hand defeat these things with nothing more than a purposeful stride and raising his hands above his head as he walked through the sensors. There was a security guard at his CCTV station and the tobacco kiosk by the door with two staff on, plus the checkouts, and I think I was the only person who noticed him. It was a masterclass in shoplifting technique.

9 Likes

Surely the larger crime here is selling anything Hershey’s as chocolate.

8 Likes

A former co-worker worked the stock room at the now defunct Service Merchandise. When people bought a large item–say, a TV–they’d be given a ticket and instructions to drive to the loading dock.

He never admitted to actually doing it himself but the co-worker told me it was really easy to pull two or more at the same time and have a buddy there to take the surplus.

And somehow management didn’t catch on.

4 Likes
3 Likes

This guy is great. He has a new subscriber now.

4 Likes

Don’t forget to look at the one where he controls an 80s electron microscope with a microcontroller.

1 Like

Is Hershey’s worse than this?

At least they call it chocolate flavour cake covering now, instead of cooking chocolate (which implies it is something other than brown edible wax mixed with sugar)

2 Likes

Yes, it really is.

That “chocolate flavoured covering” just tastes of cocoa and disappointment. Hershey’s, on the other hand, contains Butyric Acid which gives it a distinct taste. Apparently, American consumers associate this taste with chocolate. To almost everyone else, it tastes of rancid butter or vomit.

8 Likes

Don’t be so presumptuous. I am not white - I am just really annoying.

10 Likes

I thought that everybody else always peeled off the anti-shoplifting tags and stuck them to the other customers. Once everybody sets off the detector, it becomes useless for its intended purpose.

6 Likes

So you’re the reason why shops put the tags inside sealed boxes and shrinkwrap.

8 Likes