Robinhood plays sheriff for Wall Street, blocking users from buying popular stocks

9 Likes

16 Likes
15 Likes

Called it.

7 Likes

Being absolutely bulletproof in some hypothetical Platonic ideal of a civil court has nothing to do with the legal exposure calculation. They’d have to pay their lawyers regardless, and if you hadn’t noticed, emotions are running juuuuuuuuuust a wee bit high over all this. Even if they won in court, it might kill them with additional reputational damage.

If my theory of the case is correct and this move was at least in part about reducing exposure, it’s because the weighted risk of a runaway jury awarding $69 trillion to /u/bonerchamp420 is too big to be ignored.

3 Likes

tumblr_796b02f4366653728fb3636b8e3bee53_09a75265_640

27 Likes

Right…

9 Likes

Robin Hood really went against their namesake on this one, no?

6 Likes

meanwhile, the simulation is glitching:

18 Likes

The cages of the 1% are official rattled.

27 Likes

That’s just the Soup Man jumping on the populist bandwagon for his own fascist ends. I expect Hawley to join in shortly. Whether it’s their criticising Big Tech or calling for $2k stimulus cheques or this, they’re arguing for the right things for the wrong reasons. These are not our friends.

ETA (h/t @milliefink ):

20 Likes

Robin of Loxley was an aristocrat LARPing as a man of the people.

10 Likes

You mean this dbag?

10 Likes

Um… okay? I mean, yes, the basic situation we’re all talking about is indeed happening.

Look, all I’m saying is don’t give any random office suite of tech bros and middle managers here too much credit. The market, the broader market, capitalism itself are all irredeemably shitty, and recreational investors on Reddit aren’t going to change that. But whether or not some all-powerful shadowy figure pulling their strings also wanted this, it’s pretty likely their lawyers have their hair on fire right now. If that’s not an interesting enough story for you, there are obviously a few hundred others to choose from, some of which will even turn out to be true.

2 Likes

it wasn’t the lawyers, it was daddy:

15 Likes

More to the point, he was almost certainly a myth that grew out of some folk legend. Another one of the many things that helps us understand that the only way to better ourselves is to find a suitable aristocrat and swear our allegiance to him. (Always him).

4 Likes

Robinhood’s users are not Robinhood’s customers. Robinhood’s users generate data about buying/selling and Robinhood sells that info to big institutions.

We know this. It’s the same as Facebook, as LinkedIn, as everything. The users are the product.

11 Likes

I had posted this in the comments thread for a prior article before I saw this one. Shaun hit the nail on the head

10 Likes

So “Robinhood” is protecting the rich?
Well…

10 Likes
11 Likes