Robots and humans, working together in harmony?

De-skilling is what happens when machines assist humans doing complex work, to the extent that humans are no longer able to do this work without the help of machines. The prime example is airplane pilots who have become so reliant on auto-pilot that they are no longer able to take control in those rare (and dangerous) situations where the auto-pilot for some reason can’t fly the plane. It’s not that the pilots don’t know how to fly any more, it’s just that they no longer fly on instinct since they are not practicing in the way they used to.

My guess is that the problem of deskilling will happen in more and more industries that require complex analysis from doctors to engineers. I don’t know how big of a problem this is going to be, but essentially, once we start relying on machines, we can never go back (or at least not without dire circumstances).

1 Like

It has been done:

9 Likes

Oh, I’m sure the end result of poverty would be death. We see in the news how that can be caused as profitably as possible. Housing, food, and tax costs are up; foreclosures are widespread; shelters are maxed out; and the homeless are evicted from places where it is warm and dry. So they have to survive the elements, disease, environmental toxins, and other desperate people. In the meantime, people can always find products to make themselves feel better (if only temporarily). Sometimes, those same products lead to the end/compost.

1 Like

TPTB have been busy giving military weapons to local police forces for quite a while. They’ve also been running a lot of drills and zombie apocalypse scenarios. The odds would not favor the sheeple.

Which group are you calling sheeple?

1. Those who continue to play capitalism’s sick game?
  2. Those who seek to avoid doing so?
  3. The militarized police who see dangerous suspects, terrorists, or zombies while looking at members of the public, enjoying Life and Liberty, and pursuing Happiness?
  4. Other?

The trouble here is that those pilots were (sadly) never going to successfully fly those planes well in those high-pressure, high-variability cases where an autopilot performs poorly. If you can train a human how to make a judgment call, you can train a robot, so it should never surprise us that robots are best at the things we understand best, and that we’re worst at the things robots are worst at. More old-school practice might make for a slightly better pilot, but probably not enough to make a large difference. Those human pilots are there mostly as a good-enough safety net for when the mechanized idiot-savant that usually flies the planes fails in a novel and spectacular way where a human would not.

Humans and machine work in concert best when the human can leverage the machine to simplify data that still needs a human judgment call: A robot may not be able to interpret the meaning of the numbers in a spreadsheet and recommend a business-specific course of action, but it easily sift through thousands of line entries and sum them up in some easy-to-navigate tables and charts that let the human quickly search the possibilities.

They also work well together when the machine saves time that would normally be wasted on ancillary task. For example, doing the math to design, say, an electronic filter or a mechanical support is tedious. Optimizing the design for trade-offs is even more so (ESPECIALLY when the trade-offs are not linked by one of those nice, smooth, continuous functions where your professor promised you a solution exists). But you can run a much less-tedious simulation, and you can automate the simulation process to generate 10 or 20 different optimizations (or iterate 10 or 20 times to get the best result if you’re lucky enough to have one of those nice, smooth relations. If that’s a task that takes a significant part of every day, then yeah, you’re being automated out. If it’s a task you do once a month or less – when you have to spend a lot of time refreshing your memory or getting up to speed – then the machine is just helping you get it off your plate faster by doing to the fine-detailed remembering and calculation for you.

And some people are inherently rare and in no danger of being fully automated out. For example, we just don’t have enough librarians to do the jobs in a lot of places. When you automate the process of checking in a book, you don’t so much let them cut a librarian (because they don’t – they have other tasks that actually require a human) and you save a manager from figuring out how he’s going to hire an additional librarian who effectively doesn’t exist on the job market.

And a lot of times, this all leads to what Tenner would call a “revenge effect” of technology: as something becomes cheaper and easier to do, you don’t usually spend less time or money doing it: you just spend the same effort to do it MORE. Spreadsheets used to be so tedious as to be very rare. Now we do them every day. Did that create fewer jobs because management can figure out where they stand more easily and get rid of “dead wood”, or did that create more jobs for spreadsheet drones? Hard to say. I’m not going to give you that old saw about buggy whip makers, or the claim that new tech creates as many new types of jobs as it obsoleted (they don’t). But I am saying that some of these jobs go obsolete a lot more slowly than others.

This is not to say that people aren’t going to be screwed. They are. In the very long term, even white collar jobs will be in danger. But that is a bit far off.

Keynes would say that in the long run, we’re all dead.

So at least we have that to look forward to.

1 Like

Didn’t one of these 'bots eject Joel from the SOL?

Gypsy helped him escape, but that was because she believed she was saving his life.

2 Likes

May I interest you in the Culture series written by the late, great Iain M. Banks?

Amazon.com link

1 Like

Many thanks to you, Madam or Sir.

The woman’s probably thinking, “I’ve been at this company five years now, and instead of promoting me, they made me the glorified secretary to a robot. FML.”

2 Likes

I’m a singer/musician. How will all this affect me and others like me?

And there’s this scenario:
https://theinfosphere.org/Robots

1 Like

Autotune everywhere :scream:

1 Like

That is more horrific than the whole robot uprising/terminator scenario if you ask me.

3 Likes

Welp, I guess I have to become some kind of revolutionary, as I don’t need to be auto-tuned. (she said haughtily)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.