Rocker Rod Stewart built an epic model railway in his house

If you liked this, you’ll probably enjoy my book When Pulling Groupies Isn’t Enough: Rock Stars Nerding Out. Chapters on Neil Young (model trains); Johnny Cash (model trains); Frank Sinatra (model trains); Bill Wyman (old man with a metal detector on the beach); Steve Vai (beekeeper); Grandmaster Flash (mug collector – seriously).

8 Likes

Joe Walsh (ham radio) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wb6acu.png

3 Likes

I am seriously jelly.

1 Like

It’s a hobby with a small but passionate fanbase. Enthusiastic people make new companies regularly and then go bankrupt a few years later. How many times as Lionel been resurrected now?

If you have a chance search for a local train group in your area. There’s a good chance one exists and holds regular meetups at some location. My local group has a standard size board that they build everything on so the segments can be worked on at home and then brought in and connected together in a grand display. There is some seriously impressive work done in re-creating parts of the city, a 1950s diner and drive in, a woodsy section of the Island of Sodor, or even downtown Springfield from the Simpsons. Usually with lights and motorized elements.

3 Likes

He told Railway Modeller he worked on the skyscrapers and other scenery while on tour, requesting an extra room for his constructions in his hotels.

That kind of dedication (and patience – but on a much smaller scale :wink:) reminds me of another hobbyist (well known to the figure-building/painting community) who also built while on the road and on ‘business’ (Bill Horan); each figure below is just over 2" tall.

1 Like

It was a hoot, you just could not have fun at that place. Many a day off from the crazy life of running restaurants in the SF City [100 hour weeks], I would walk over with my son and take a ride through their fantasy land. Miss it, but not living there, too sleepy of a town for me…

2 Likes

Oh man. Dad would have really loved this.

3 Likes

Saints, preserve us.

3 Likes

“The collection was priceless and I [Rod Stewart] am donating £10,000 to help compensate those affected and asking fellow enthusiasts Jools Holland, Roger Daltrey and others to do the same.” Who knew this about Classic Rock artists?

Daltrey: “Out of my brain on the 5:15… out of my brain on the train.”

4 Likes

3 Likes

I believe it. Hobbies can be creatively satisfying in very personal ways… and addictive.

3 Likes

Don’t forget Pete Waterman, also an avid model railway fan, who took it further and owns full sized trains.

2 Likes

Now we have a new vacation idea for the husband.
(If we ever win the lottery, the basement of the house we have will contain a 100’x100’ train layout. Since we never play the lottery, this will, alas, always remain just a dream for him. :laughing:)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.