Roleplaying game pioneer M.A.R. Barker was an anti-Semite and Nazi sympathizer

“Whatever that means”?

Do we have to go back to the beginning and debate whether fascist novels are a thing?

Does The Turner Diaries constitute an existence proof for “fascist novel” as a concept?

Or is it fascism itself, are we supposed to argue about whether fascism exists?

Is fascism a myth except for Antifa, who are the only “real fascists”?

14 Likes

People should just submit to the war machine… how is that “fascist”? /s

9 Likes

… temporarily, until the “emergency” is over :wink:

10 Likes

Trick question… the “emergency” is never over… there is always a new “enemy” on the horizon we must destroy… Violence is always the manliness of answers… especially in the science fiction future that wise white dudes predicted in the midst of the 20th century… /s

Sad Futurama GIF

8 Likes

Ah yes, the golden age… When a spaceship travelling faster than light was conceivable, and a woman designing/piloting/commanding it was not.

15 Likes

Only white men belong in space… everyone knows that! /s

8 Likes

Oh, but see, we’ve been told that somehow they are treated equally even though they’re excluded from all decision making that would ensure that. You just have to trust it works. Just like I’m sure the opportunities to “participate in government” would be equitably distributed, instead of say a handful of clerk jobs going to the well-connected and everyone else being told sorry, those positions are full but there’s always room for more infantry.

14 Likes

Just ask trans kids… s/

11 Likes

It’s just like Galt’s Gulch :thinking:

11 Likes

Obviously, humanity perfected… /s

7 Likes

Only if they’re also billionaires.

10 Likes

obvi GIF by Joey Graceffa

9 Likes

Well I don’t think so, it just changed. The West was already, long term, involved in murderous wars on Muslims long before people attacked America. “We” had just decided (or Kissinger had anyway) that Shia were nasties (Palestinians and Iranians in particular) but Sunni were not (al Saud and the mujahideen). I guess that the political elite were able to pretend to themselves that they weren’t racist in doing this. Never held any water with me.

12 Likes

Historically allying with the ones with all the money and resources isn’t racist, surely?

That’s just “Foreign Policy”…

13 Likes

Deeper take on that topic:

7 Likes

Farnham’s Freehold? Not a libertarian paradise, to be sure, but it is certainly in the “White male survivalists are right and everyone should have listened to them all along” category.

6 Likes

Yes, I read the book. So did Paul Verhoeven, which is why he decided to make the 1997 movie adaptation a satirical critique of the militaristic/fascist themes in the source material rather than a straight adaptation.

Under a benevolent, wise, nigh-infallible military state.

That’s exactly the kind of future fascist authoritarians have always promised but never delivered on. “Peace Through Strength” and all that.

Yeah well when that “one thing” you’re talking about is literally “the right to participate in the Democratic process” it really isn’t a minor detail.

18 Likes

This sort of fundemental misunderstanding of what is a right vs what is a privilege granted by the authoritarian state is a pretty central part of fascism, no? You are not a full person unless the state decides you are.

13 Likes

And it’s a universal state. There’s no way to opt-out, because the colonies are under the same rule.

8 Likes

Luckily I have the build that would allow me to flee the human controlled portions of space and pass as a Skinny

5 Likes