Rotolight sends fraudulent takedown notice to censor unfavorable review

[Permalink]

Stupid is as stupid does,… or something. I’m beginning to fear that the collapse of egalitarianism and human rights that Reagan launched is well on the way to dumping us into a Dark Ages far worse than anything the church was able to come up with back when.

What I don’t understand is how a fraudulent DMCA-notice and subsequent removal of content is not in itself a copyright violation? And also a rather more severe one?

This is one of the biggest problems with the DMCA - if the takedown itself is fraudulent there is no recourse - they can be fired off without discrimination, but can’t be appealed in any sort of sane manner. The burden of proof is entirely on the person who’s content is being removed, putting creators of potentially objectionable content in the constant position of having to prove that they aren’t guilty, a clear perversion of justice.

This is relevant to my interests.

1 Like

Companies are stupid and slow to pick up on things. They’ve only made life harder on themselves.

I like how the Rotolight rep tried to sound reasonable later, in the Facebook thread. Sorry, Rotolight, it’s too late to play nice after you’ve smacked someone.

I vote with my wallet. Maybe someday the politicrats turn on their corporate masters and undo the DMCA, or at least crack down on fraudulent notices, but I’m not holding my breath. If you want things to change, you’ve got to take down the corporate interests who really control things.

Rotolight has apologized and the video is back up.

http://www.fstopacademy.com/blog/censorship-when-a-review-does-not-go-the-way-of-a-manufacturer/

Looking at the video, it seems pretty clear that Rotolight had zero ground to make a claim (and that their light makes the guy look kind of sickly).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.