Rupert Murdoch just bought National Geographic: Fox buyout means shift to pure for-profit

I agree, the magazine will suffer as a result of this. But the Society will benefit. And the post’s headline and text is muddling the difference between the two. The magazine isn’t getting $1B, the Society is. The magazine doesn’t give grants to scientists, the Society does.

1 Like

The magazine is dead and the society irrevocably tainted.

13 Likes

Yes, but the humans inhabiting those groups are made of flesh, blood, and emotions, and the relationships and politics won’t be so clearly divided just because a piece of paper says they are. I mean, come on. These are homo sapiens we’re talking about. When, in the history of humanity, have things been any different?

So they get $1 Billion for research, the results of which they now have no way of sharing with the public?

4 Likes

Unfortunately. I used to look forward to getting the the magazine, no more…

1 Like

Hell hath frozen.

I’m sure the new page 3 spread will be very educational.

8 Likes

NatGeo is already dumbed down, the publication is a long ways off from where it was 20 years ago.

I mean yeah it can certainly get a lot worse, as far as magazines go they’re still near the top, but with the decline of print media in general they’ve had to make compromises to attract eyeballs and it’s resulted in some really weak content.

6 Likes

Zulu bride and bridegroom in the November 1896 issue was the first picture of a bare-breasted woman in the magazine.

2 Likes

Sorry to say this, but as @beschizza had a slightly better image of Rupert, he wins this round…

2 Likes

It already is. The fact-to-entertainment level dropped significantly ever since Fox took over their television media.

2 Likes

Arxiv.org?

Seriously, I don’t see how this is a win for the world, just those execs making out on the deal.

Why shouldn’t he be held accountable for his crimes against humanity? Murdoch is like a virus that destroys all that it touches leaving only an empty shell of something once grand. As surely as we hung war criminals Murdoch should pay with his wretched life for the harm he does

4 Likes

National Geographic should have asked Tintin for advice.

5 Likes

Came to say exactly that. Fuck, I don’t even care if it’s relatively painless (though I’d prefer something agonizing, natch). Just die already.

1 Like

Yet another publication which will turn to complete shit which, shareing ranks with fox news, NY Post and Wall Street Journal.

When that arch-scumbag carks it, there’ll be fucking street parties worldwide.

5 Likes

7 Likes

This doesn’t have a snowballs chance in congress of being good news.

1 Like