Samsung says its TV sets should be "regularly checked for viruses"

PSA:

Neither Fox News nor any other channel will go away if you use McAfee (or any competitors). Nor does the current administration, in the US, Turkey, Hungary, Poland, Syria, or elsewhere.

Use your hardware.
I suggest shoes.
You don’t even have to throw them, standing up and walking already can be quite effective. Together, to change things. Or walking out of it. He’ll, going for a walk already helps against Fox News, usually.

4 Likes

I have a 30 year old black and white 12 inch TV in the bedrom, and it’s connected to a DVB-T receiver without smart functions. Still have a Trinitron at my parent’s house, and all LCD TV i have are without network connectivity.
But VGA input, if you know what I mean

1 Like

I got a flat screen television replaced sometime in 2013…
the auto connect feature goes on a default setting and always
delays watching/changing over which is so irritating

1 Like

I’ve been mostly a Mac user for quite a while, but my understanding was that McAfee and Symantec are remnants of '90s and early 2000, and that ever since Windows Defender was released in, like, 2006, it’s been the gold standard of protecting Windows without slowing down your computer, introducing bloatware, installing browser toolbars (aka spyware), etc, that McAfee and Symantec do.

4 Likes

Hi Timmy,

I do own a Mac, and a PC, and several Android devices. I’ve even dabbled in Linux, so I guess that makes me… I’m sure you’ll tell me.

Welcome to the bOING bOING BBS.

I hope you’ll soon come to feel at home with our sometimes quirky sense of humor here.

:sunny:

5 Likes

From that link:

Future proof modular expansion options including the ability to integrate Open Pluggable Specification (OPS) or a Raspberry Pi Compute Modules seamlessly into the display

OMG why hasn’t that made it’s way to consumer platforms?!?!?! They clearly know how to make something future proof!

2 Likes

So you’re thinking Samsung is in the wrong for suggesting people run regular AV scans on their devices which come with an AV scanner because they helped develop Tizen and Tizen isn’t as secure as you think it should be. And you feel they should do what? Make it more secure? Have AV scans done without the end user doing anything? What? Just what is Samsung doing here that everyone else isn’t doing? To me it looks like they are the only Smart TV that even tells people that AV is important making them miles ahead of the curve when compared to the competition.
Does Sony have smart TVs? Yes. Have they warned people to run regular AV scans? No. Are they just as vulnerable? Yes. So why is Samsung in the wrong but Sony gets a pass?

Possibly. Possibly not. But you still need to run regular scans no matter where the device is located or who makes it.

This has never happened. There are no reported cases of a Samsung TV being infected much less bricked.

Options > General > System Manager > Smart Security > Scan
That’s 5 steps.

Sorry, I just can’t take these complaints seriously. It smacks of typical internet rage over nothing.

Maybe?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi44qai7PPiAhXpy1QKHWVZDjUQwqsBMAF6BAgJEAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEn37grCtIjg&usg=AOvVaw19sfnzpHvTG3dRpVezak48

Everyone loves it when strangers suggest menu options buried 5 levels deep are easy to find and navigate to with a crappy remote.

It’s not exactly intuitive. That we went from dials to needing to tend to our teevees like peecees seems complaint-worthy.

In the case of Samsung TVs with McAfee bloatware, definitely. Perhaps you’re not familiar with that product.

They’re getting ahead of the issue (or why make the announcement at all?). Eventually, Samsung TVs will get infected and bricked.

I was quoting from Rob’s article.

1 Like

Samsung reminds rabble to scan smart TVs for viruses – then tries to make them forget

2 Likes

uhm, yes?

getting paid by mcafee to integrate their bloatware into the system?

is it? again, I think that depends. in case of tizen…maybe?

dont think so; sony TVs are running android. of course its just as “safe” as the next 0day, but as far as I know there is not a single case of a “virus” in the history of android so far. backdoors, yes, malware, yes, mostly(?) over sideload apps, but no “virus”.

well, you seem pretty keen about this…

2 Likes

ach, you fckn kiddin me :laughing:

1 Like

Nothing to see here.
Move along.

2 Likes

So the problem is the remote? Then go buy a keyboard mouse combo if your input device is the problem. They work with smart TV’s after all.

Yeah, just like when we went from letting your horse graze to having to pump gas, change oil, replace spark plugs, and air filters just to keep our cars running properly.

Or your streaming device might use McAffee too. Is that the problem though? Their choice of free AV software?

And you know what I think about that article.

I think the same about Windows. It’s almost a reasonable position. Let me know when you hear about an internet connected OS running on general purpose hardware that isn’t at risk of infection.

You do know that crap AV software ships with most new computers right? You know they all get paid for it right? Calling out Samsung for doing the same is pretty weak sauce.

OK, so can you point me to an article about any other smart TV manufacturers who have educated their customers about the risk of IoT devices and the need for regular scans?

Oh! No virus huh? You can end up with a completely comprimised system, have your conversations recorded and be part of a bot net but that’s all ok because no virus. Semantic arguments aren’t compelling.

1 Like

Mainly, yes, although really the scans from any AV software chosen by the user (with the bloatware choices being wiped) should run automatically in the background. Samsung was just looking to do a little CYA here by putting more burden on the end-user while giving them no choice in the AV software except one understood by people who know technology to be crapware.

1 Like

OT but if you think caring for a riding horse is as easy as “letting it graze” there are number of vets who’d like a word (and you’d end up doing a lot of walking).

I agree with your points in general but your analogy here is a little off. :slight_smile:

You’re certainly right that telling people their TV could be affected by nasty software and giving them some means to do something about the risk is better than doing nothing - which as you say is the alternative most manufacturers seem to have opted for.

2 Likes

Don’t forget, less than 100 years ago, people still rode horses until they dropped, ate and sold the meat, and bought a new one at the next post. Sure, a lot of people cared for their horses like we do today, but for many, they were disposable. Point taken in any case.

1 Like

Because that would make sense, and we can’t have that on the consumer market. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not the remote, but now I need to buy a keyboard for a teevee to fix a problem which has no need to be a problem in the first place?

This just gets better and better. A veritable cascade of inconvenience.

It’s like management of the tv division stood around and uttered five deadly words: “We need a competitive edge.”

You should see me complain about car maintenance and global warming.

But, you have no idea how much work is involved in keeping horses. Early autos were a convenience.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.