San Diego school district acquires MRAP (basically a tank) for cheap from feds

[Permalink]

1 Like

Apparently some San Diego pupils are rather tough. Do teachers get ballistic vests?

3 Likes

In b4 ā€œItā€™s not a tank!ā€

14 Likes

And so the battle continues to escalateā€¦

From the halls of Poplar Grade School to the shores of bubble gum bay we will fight our teacher's battles with spitballs gum and clay We will fight for lunch and recess and to keep our desks a mess (a mess) we are proud to claim the title of "teacher's number-one pest"

Then there is this one that seems to have some major variationsā€¦
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the burning of the school
ā€¦hid behind the door with a loaded 44 and she ainā€™t my teacher no moreā€¦

7 Likes

How long will it be before this piece of equipment is used? Bets?

3 Likes

Is this a PR stunt for Anchorman 3 [son of anchorman]?

3 Likes

It would make a great playground addition. Prolly ought to take the doors off, though.

1 Like

I like to think of it this way: An APC isnā€™t a tank in the same sense that a logging truck isnā€™t a mobile home.

7 Likes

ā€˜The kids ran away when we tried to drop off the teddy bears? Paint clowns on the side. Kids love clowns, right?ā€™

8 Likes

The big thing is that the maintenance for these things is very expensive, and requires specialized knowledge. If I did not have a better job, I would start a company to perform all the maintenance on these MRAPs and other military vehicles for rural police departments and now schools.

4 Likes

Yeah - itā€™s not a tank. Itā€™s an armored vehicle. Itā€™s ok to make distinctions, even if one word is more click baity. Just like every gun isnā€™t an Assault Rifle or every car a Ferrari, even if they share some characteristics.

Their rationale for it is absolutely absurd.

Also, I will deliver any MRAP across the US for only $4000, as I am confident I can fly to any location and drive it back for a fraction of that. Including gas and MtDew.

7 Likes

Driverā€™s Ed just got real popular; hand the maintenance to the voc/tech crew.

4 Likes

OTOH, if you see one of these bearing down on you, while youā€™re running away shouting ā€œItā€™s a MRAP!!ā€ people are just going to think youā€™re blowing raspberries* ( :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) at them or something.

*Not sure what the correct US term is for that. Razzing maybe?

8 Likes

In one way or another, all armored vehicles have been called ā€œtanksā€ for the past 90 years. Weā€™ve even got some knucklehead saying that the lack of a turbine is on the list of thing that make it not a tank.

How about this, knuckleheads, if you mean an MBT, say ā€œMBTā€, not tank. Get it right!

5 Likes

Iā€™m sure that the IRC is really, really, happy with the placement of that protective symbol.

They are toothless, sure; but itā€™s still pretty tacky.

2 Likes

Aside from the removal of the .50 (and quite possibly even with it, there are still protected firing positions available), I suspect that you could get pretty much any muddy Brit in 1916 to trade you his Mark I for an MRAP in a heartbeatā€¦

5 Likes

Basically a tankā€¦

7 Likes

Tanks have Main Guns, aka Tank Guns. Thatā€™s the key distinction.

Ah, but would your delivery be AQAP compliant?

As a matter of tactical necessity, MBTs settled on a ā€œmain gunā€ after a few decades into the existence of tanks, but like I said, if you mean MBT, say MBT.

2 Likes