San Francisco breaks its e-cigarette habit

Please tell me that’s not a thing. No, I’m not going to Google it.

3 Likes

It’s a thing.

4 Likes

Vaping is dumb. But so is this decision. If you want to argue that people shouldn’t vape or smoke in public, due to health concerns for nearby non-users, I get that. I don’t want to sit in a room full of clouds of tobacco smoke, or fruit-flavored whatever-is-in-vape-juice, if I don’t have to. But the government saying you can’t sell a legal substance within the city limits is not only overreach, it won’t work.

Oh, and while we’re all using anecdotes to support our positions, I will say that my mom tried vaping to reduce her nicotine habit. It didn’t work. But the patch did.

5 Likes

1 Like

Man, I have no idea. Not my kink. But those that like it really seem to like it for whatever reason. Some people like polka. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I don’t get the “absolute idiot” vibe. This is like a man bun - regardless of your feelings on hipsters, it’s a perfectly reasonable and acceptable hairstyle that makes no real inference about the person in question. Rude vapers that blow in your face and can’t be avoided are “absolute idiots”. Anyone else with a vaping device is just a person who is not smoking a cigarette.

6 Likes

Ostentatiously advertising one’s substance addiction and oral fixation in public just doesn’t signify “smart” or “sophisticated” to me, whether it’s a cigarette or a vape (although I’d much prefer a world in which the latter completely replaced the former). It’s my opinion, but when I ask kids I know about vaping they seem to agree with the view, saying the only kids in school who vape are “losers” and “dumb”.

The only thing more idiotic is using it to make a fashion statement, or worse a Libertarian political statement like Congressman Family Values here:

But hey, if you think it looks cool or doesn’t draw attention to a person, I’m not going to argue with you. And it’s not like smokers or vapers care what I think, anyhow.

3 Likes

As well as the parent company for American Spirit cigarettes. Numerous cigar, pipe, cigarette, and chewing tobacco brands. Basically if a US tobacco company isn’t headquartered in the Carolinas its San Francisco. And almost all of them have a serious presence in the area, its their gateway to Asia where their major sales growth is.

2 Likes

I always loved that one. “They’re organic cigarettes!”

3 Likes

There definitely seem to be two kinds of people who use e-cigarettes: the vaper-bros with their huge, boxy mods that make a show of their huge clouds of vape and seem to only talk about vaping… and people who use tiny devices made to be inconspicuous (Juul, Blu, etc) as an alternative to cigarettes.

6 Likes

Are the mods the ones that sometimes blow up in the users’ faces?

1 Like

Obviously there are a lot of people who have quit smoking in a lot of different ways, whether or not the correct p-value was achieved in a large study. Limiting their options is bad.

And I can say with certainly that everyone who has switched to vaping from cigarette smoking has instantly become 100% less annoying to me.

8 Likes

Those are the ones. The vape devices made to be ‘overclocked’ or whatever that are designed for ‘massive clouds’ and gigantic amounts of vape and nicotine. They’re usually the size of a thick deck of cards, neon or camo-colored, with a clear spigot out the top. Designed to make you look like a douche.

4 Likes

So - it’s highly addictive?

Thanks. Good to know.

7 Likes

It’s not really relevant to my point as far as I can tell. I wasn’t talking about quitting smoking, just whether or not they’d choose to vape or use cigarettes. I’d prefer them to vape as the odour doesn’t stick to my clothes like cigarette smoke did, is all.

I might be having trouble because “smoking” encloses “vaping” in my mind, rather than specifically referring to burning a cancer stick.

4 Likes

I find it amazing that weed is legal and vaping is banned in SF. Self righteous nonsense! I say!

4 Likes

Apparently vaping isn’t banned (which would put vaping of legal weed into a weird catch-22 situation) but buying e-cigs in SF is banned. Which begs the question as to whether you’ll be allowed to buy a vape device specifically for weed.

5 Likes

Not organic per se. Whole leaf tobacco. Most cigarettes are reconstituted sheet tobacco. Basically everything is ground up into a nicotine free paper, then a solution of nicotine and additives is sprayed onto it to flavor it and set the nicotine level. It all gets shredded and stuffed into the cigarette.

This lets them maximize nicotine level. And if you’ve ever seen those PSAs talking about how tobacco smoke contains ammonia, well it lets them add that too. Adding ammonia converts the bulk of the nicotine to a free base. And just like crack vs cocaine that means its more addictive, and gets metabolized faster. Meaning you smoke more.

For all the marketing BS and faux Native American branding it matters. Whole leaf tobacco tends to have much lower nicotine levels, and there’s minimal free base floating around in there. They’re still made from high tar, high nicotine cigarette tobaccos. But there’s something to it. You’re consuming less nicotine overall, and get cravings less often. In theory it makes it easier to reduce consumption.

That hasn’t worked for me with American Spirits. But it did when i was smoking a low nicotine whole leaf tobacco from a pipe tobacco company. I smoked fewer cigarettes, less regularly, and those cigarettes were much smaller. Unfortunately I can’t get either the tobacco or filters for rollies reliably where I’m at. I need to quit, but finding a comfortable way to taper use before hand makes that a lot easier.

4 Likes

Well, that’s kinda part of the problem. How many double-blind studies have been conducted to determine if second-hand vape is safe?

2 Likes

@gracchus
Nicotine levels in cigs and liquid are more or less marketing BS: lots of research shows that addicts unconsciously self-regulate nicotine dose through length of drag, intensity of drag, frequency of drags, and the like to finely calibrate how much nicotine they will receive. Given a “lite” cigarette, a heavy addict will simply inhale more deeply, more quickly and hold the inhalation longer.

3 Likes