San Francisco Library pushed into restricting public internet access because unhoused people use it

Plus they’d need a lot of battery packs for any length of time. It would be a gesture to make the news, rather than a real solution.

The thing is, private individuals could provide some WI-FI access, and what’s this jackass going to do about it?

A fancier setup would be a vehicle with a proper access point, and use either a Starlink type or a closed access point elsewhere in the neighborhood as the Internet connection.

1 Like

That happens even in places that don’t seem like tourist centers at first glance.

(A lot of the tourists are because of the production Come From Away, based on events where Gander residents took in a large number of unexpected guests with no where to stay. Sigh.)

1 Like

They could just park one right at the “encampments” as they call them. And put in some port-a-potties.
But the officials don’t want to make life easier or help them out of poverty, they want them not to exist at all.
Again, assholes.

Now you’ve got me wondering if the city would make it illegal for a non-profit or a private citizen to do exactly that…I remember a while ago a guy got in trouble for walking around and putting money in parking meters that were about to expire. Different city.

7 Likes

Some cities have made it illegal to provide food to the homeless, so your scenario is entirely plausible.

4 Likes

That’s right.
And one possible way around that was to switch the “presentation” so you’re just having a big family picnic every week and lots of local friends come.
Wonder if there might be a similar tactic for internet…

2 Likes

Aha! I considered exactly that when I was planning my op to blanket Queen’s Park with an open access point serving up my DougWiki. (Covid put a crimp in that.)

The thing is, parking (and handling out food) fall under municipal bylaws, but communications are mainly federal, so they’d have a problem with jurisdiction.

2 Likes

Ah, interesting.
As a scenario, if I sometimes worked on the road, like as a photographer or storm chaser or whatever, it’s completely plausible that I would have Wi-Fi set up in the van or RV I lived out of during those times. And it would be hard to stop me from parking that in a legal space near an encampment when I wasn’t on the road and just leaving the internet on, right?

3 Likes

God. Satire only works because it’s just like reality. Depressingly so.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.