San Francisco SPCA uses a robot to chase away homeless people, because cruelty to humans is just fine

And this is precisely why I’m suspicious of it.

1 Like

Conservatives are sociopathic assholes who hate others and want anyone in poverty to suffer - every action they’ve ever taken.

2 Likes

Maybe also, but I think mainly it’s The Road to Serfdom.

I think the SPGB would agree with you. I know I do.

1 Like

Depends on how it’s implemented. In its most likely neoliberal form in the U.S., yes.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with that. I remember reading that homelessness is often just a crisis or two away for most people. Actually, could have easily happened to me if I didn’t have family support. Also read about pilot programs for small grants for basic stuff like car repair or a new washer.

Yeah, as above I am talking about the typical “throw money at it”. There are various programs out there that aren’t seeing results despite the money. As I said above with Wonderlust, I am on board with that concept.

I have for a long time taken the view that the closer one is to a problem, the better they can help.

2 Likes

unfortunately I think a percentage of people value the robots more. :sob:

robots are a clean expensive tech that remind us of our future even if people are making them do shite things, homeless are devalued by society and a painful reminder of the very very thin thread of circumstance that separates any one of us from any one of them. The upper casts like to remind the middle class every so often to keep them on the treadmill, but not to often as to cause change. things gotta change.

well said.

well, we could, and it would cost far less, but there is a certain right wing ideological roadblock towards giving others free help. the right is not a “do unto the least of these” crowd…

3 Likes

Our rapidly advancing abilities have already outgrown the capitalism of several centuries ago, and modern capitalism is a sham and goes through the motions of capitalism while being highly broken. UBI is one of the very few ways that capitalism can adapt to the future that we are on the doorstep of. There are other non-capitalistic solutions that we could go to instead of keeping capitalism and adding UBI, but capitalism is a pretty devout religion chalk full of fundamentalists and they’d rather make that concession than change faith especially since they’ve spent their whole lives clawing their way up the rungs of the church of wealth.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Quick! Head for the suburbs!

1 Like

Have a great day. I’ve been called a lot worse here, and I never let myself be goaded by it.

Except that SF is spending $40,000 per homeless person per year, money which was generated by capitalists, and it’s not solving the problem.

That’s because they’re spending it on the homelessness bureaucracy and not giving it to the people themselves.

3 Likes

That’s exactly right! But dollar sucking bureaucracies are not produced by “capitalism”. They are produced by the normal human tendency to maximize job security, which happens in every known economic system.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.