San Francisco sues the California Public Utilities Commission over its decision to allow the expansion of Waymo autonomous vehicles

That just makes it a line on an accountant’s spreadsheet somewhere in their system. It’s a cost of doing business and at most would drive the company to push an update through engineering that does whatever is cheapest and easiest to avoid the ticket, not to improve the actual behavior of the autonomous vehicle. When there is a driver, they have to avoid losing their license and avoid harm to themselves and others.

5 Likes

Ok, I admit that I’ve never heard that particular criticism before. I’m probably completely misunderstanding what you’re saying but it sounds a lot like “This greedy public entity squashed the dreams of private, for-profit companies that want to sell solar door-to-door by allowing a utility to build a cheaper centralized generating facility and undercutting the cost of privately-owned renewable energy.”

1 Like

Is there no such thing as a gym you can call out and the ripped people flip the Waymo?

eta: Also co-hack the grid and inverters to make it make sense? Use self-guided workout amplifiers ofc. Also a few cineastes to film the gym REs going ‘Those [pointing at possibly smaller Waymo and Cruise] are the superior EMS interferents,’ as incidental passing shimmer wrapped Daleks palpably shrug and read their devotional error logs while adding human touches to public benches [in lieu of a bead or hand gesture ritual which Catholic or Bhuddist adherents might have stuck.]

1 Like

No, it’s not that the PUC is “allowing” PG&E to build a cheaper centralized solar farm, but more the opposite - it has changed the rules so that private solar will no longer be cost effective, despite PG&E having the most expensive electricity rates in the country, thereby killing the entire solar industry in the state. (Solar installations fell off a cliff this year, dropping maybe 80%.) The (eventual) centralized solar farms that PG&E will build will destroy habitats (unlike the private rooftop/parking lot solar), and allow PG&E to do more profit extraction (raising effective rates even more). It’ll probably mean less and more expensive solar power, overall. On top of which, it looks like PG&E is going to be allowed to turn utility bills into what are essentially another income tax, charging based on income more than usage. It was sold under the argument that it would reduce prices for lower income residents, but it’s already clear that’s not what’s going to happen (but what’s also obvious is that it’s going to increase usage across all incomes, because there will be little incentive to conserve).

PG&E are generally being greedy shitheads and the PUC are enabling them.

1 Like

Then what, use that money to build affordable housing and drug treatment centers, and other interventions that will actually help solve the problems, not the symptoms?

2 Likes

Give Me A Break Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

No, it’s never that. The people who whinge about the homeless never want to solve the problem…

1 Like

I think the hand will have to be quite big if we scale it up from this example.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.