San Francisco supervisors vote "yes" on police robots use of deadly force

Originally published at: San Francisco supervisors vote "yes" on police robots use of deadly force | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Find out who is running the book on how long until the robot shoots someone and fire every cop who’s name appears in it.

17 Likes

Well, that’s Asimov’s Three Laws right into the bin.

28 Likes

From the people that approved the Millennium Tower and all its repairs comes “Don’t worry, these heavily armed robots are safe!”

22 Likes

Maybe they will be delivered with pooper scoopers and wenches to straighten leaning towers.

5 Likes

That would be six years ago, unless you mean exclusively in SF.

4 Likes

Euphemism?

6 Likes

I suppose if Fabio is on the box.

what could possibly go wrong?
perfect loop daleks GIF by Doctor Who

22 Likes

“He had something in his hand. I was afraid for damage to public property.”

20 Likes

Dystopian sci-fi is NOT a TO DO list!

Don’t make me tap the sign!

16 Likes

Is it the NRA (National Rifle Association) or the NRA (National Ray-Gun Association) that we need to help protect our right to keep and bear killbots? For defense against government killbots, of course, as per the NRA (either) interpretation of the Second Amendment.

/s, though there are people who likely would omit the sarcasm tag.

5 Likes

And if the killbot murders a bystander or someone who is unarmed, the one who signed off on it is automatically charged with manslaughter, right? Right!?!

13 Likes

Why would they? That’s just a ‘normal’ “police robot involved accidental shooting”. The robot may get assigned to garage duty for a couple days, until they make sure it’s in good repair, then it’ll be back out on the streets.

Worst case scenario (for them) is they give / sell / trade it to another police department and use the proceeds to buy a new police robot.

6 Likes

Fire them all then, just to be safe, seeing as none of them learned the lesson.

8 Likes

I’m old enough to remember when we were told that Tasers would be used as an alternative to deadly force rather than as a way to force compliance.

I’m old enough to remember that cops get to kill people when they are afraid. “I was afraid that if I went in there I might be in danger. So I sent in the robot to kill the suspect so I wouldn’t be afraid anymore.”

11 Likes

i think this is a terrible idea.

10 Likes

Never in the history of law enforcement have police officers been provided with a weapon they didn’t go on to abuse with deadly results.

It’s not a matter of “if,” but “when.”

19 Likes

Coming soon.

9 Likes

Wonder what programming language the aspiring defense attorney should become familiar with? (“May it please the jury: it wasn’t my client, officer Mortis, it was the dastardly C# programmer who didn’t properly include a finalizer method in their engage class on line #666 displayed”)

5 Likes