San Francisco supervisors vote "yes" on police robots use of deadly force

if they weren’t allowed to at all, they wouldn’t be able to spend their money on this.

they really need to focus on solving crime, not killing citizens.

San Francisco, like many cities across the country, has struggled with a backlog of rape kits. Statewide, nearly 14,000 rape kits in California have yet to be tested, according to End the Backlog, a project of the Joyful Heart Foundation, a nonprofit that advocates for reform of the societal response to sexual assault.

6 Likes

Thank you for posting that. It’s very much worth watching.

2 Likes

You’re asking them to admit that they want the killbots to help recruit young cops who play Rainbow 6 Siege…

4 Likes

It didn’t help that they basically stopped doing their jobs because they didn’t like the DA.

3 Likes

I know everyone wants to jump to conclusions here an assume the SFPD are going to arm a robot with a gun, that doesn’t seem to be the case. The fact of the matter is even worse however, this measure is designed to allow bomb detonation robots to use their explosive charges on suspects, which is a terrible idea.

That being said, they’re currently claiming to have no plans to outfit a robot with a gun… but plans change. Now that they have the option to kill via robot, how long is it going to take them to actually strap a gun to one and exercise that option?

3 Likes

Thanks for the admission of intentional trolling; it’s quite helpful.

6 Likes

Additional info, links.

4 Likes

My bet: right at the press conference.

“We have no plans to arm the kill- I mean, robots with firearms at this time.”

“Then why is there a tech strapping a AR-15 to the one behind you right now?”

6 Likes

Yeah. The headline is possibly misleading. It’s not a “robot” so much as a “remotely operated weapon”.

Basically the bomb squad has these remotely operated manipulators that can roll up to a possible bomb, move it around, try to deactivate it , etc. It’s a wheeled thing with a video camera and a robot arm, and the operator uses a console with joysticks and a screen to control it. At no time is it doing anything on its own. It’s totally dumb.

What SF has said is that, in some cases, something like this could be used to deliver lethal force. The one case where something like that has been done before, that I’m aware of, was killing a mass murderer in Dallas in 2016. They simply had no practical way to get near the shooter without getting shot, the guy had a rifle in 5.45x39 which will go through most police-type body armor, and they didn’t want to lose more officers. A very extraordinary situation, not any kind of routine police work.

Still qualifies as a robot. Look up “robotic surgery.” There’s a surgeon driving the system, but it’s still a robot.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.