San Franciso police department enjoys putting rape victims’ DNA into database to see if they are wanted for crimes

It makes me wonder what percentage of the department are actual rapists. I’m guessing that the number is not zero.

4 Likes

Fixed that for him. Precision in public statements is very important.

1 Like

There’s only one thing worse than being a woman in this world. Being a mother to a young girl and knowing that the odds are heavily stacked against her if she becomes a victim of violence.

5 Likes

It really doesn’t. Especially given that, every story you read, it’s about how police departments, while they do have the budget for Iraq-surplus MRAPs, they just dont have the budget for all the rape kits piling up in the evidence locker.

My guess is that some “smart” guy fairly high-up had a light bulb go off. This cant be too low-level. Someone has to OK the budget. And, really, doesn’t it sound like the “bright idea” would originate in the prosecutor’s office and shunted to the police? Or, was it in fact the police, who were looking for a low-effort way to boost their “solve rate”?

Does that mean he will quash the ongoing prosecutions that have been set in motion by this DNA evidence?? Likely as not, he wont.

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s because it looks like they are investigating, but is in fact easy and doesn’t involve leaving their desk. There are so many things in teaching that we do because it makes the administrators look like they are doing something, but do not in any way improve learning or impact children.

1 Like

Wait, so they’re permanently adding the survivor’s DNA to a database? That’s even worse than I thought. It means, as a matter of form, victims are being treated as if they were convicted criminals? (In any reasonable system, even suspects whose DNA failed to match would not be added to a database.) The whole thing is out of control.

Given how many US police departments are doing DNA analysis themselves (incorrectly) and how willing labs are to make extremely questionable comparisons between individuals and mixed DNA samples (where there’s a high possibility of false matches), having a huge DNA database with innocent people in it will lead inevitably to disaster.

4 Likes

FTFY

4 Likes

Does the SFPD charge the complainants for the processing and storage of their DNA samples?

they collect it initially so they can more easily exclude the victim’s dna from the suspect’s samples. and then they keep in in perpetuity for no reason at all

yup. the practice only came to light because they recently arrested a woman for a property crime based on a match from a years ago assault she suffered

suspending the practice isn’t enough. they need to purge the databases too

5 Likes

Sounds like something my housing provider(BC Housing) would do to me

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.