SanDisk 64GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive on sale

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/04/sandisk-64gb-ultra-fit-usb-3-1.html

2 Likes

10 dollar, you no hollar.

1 Like

Comments from the last mention of this drive model can be found here. The Amazon reviews suggest caution.

2 Likes

The group/entity that comes up with the USB naming scheme really has fucked-up royally at this point, when as a lifelong technologist, I have no idea what kind of connector a USB cable or item features based on its name. 3.1 Gen 1, 3.1 Gen 2, oh wait now it’s 3.2 Gen 1 and Gen 2, and btw also USB 3.2 2x2. No I am not making this shit up.

2 Likes

Yeah, I looked at the reviews before buying and chose not to buy. The reviews do not paint a rosy picture.

@NickyG, Yeah, with USB4 (not USB4.0, mind you) it’s even worse. Now there’s Gen1x1, Gen1x2, Gen2x1, Gen2x2 in order of increasing speed. Then there’s USB4 and honestrly, it’s not at all clear what that’s going to be called.

2 Likes

Just bought a new laptop a couple days ago, and the nightmare of figuring out the different USB 3 ports and what they can do in addition to different versions of Thunderbolt ports which I needed for an external graphics card, the whole thing was a nightmare.

Some of these USB ports only support certain features that you cannot tell from even their name if you know the name and certainly not from any badge over the port. Certain ports can charge but you have to know that this specification exists on the board itself by reading very deep into specs, or hope that it has a yellow plug in the center. Some will do external display but not all, and all of this is wrapped up in a port that often looks no different from any other.

I want to hunt down the people who came up with this naming convention system for USB 3.0 and throw them straight into an active volcano

3 Likes

It says something, when in 2019, The USB Implementer’s Forum (USB-IF – the ones responsible for the horrible naming conventions) only shows this for contact on their website:

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 10.08.41 PM.png

I kind of want to email them and ask why their names suck, and shockingly, they don’t make that easy.

Maybe I will call, and offer my marketing consulting services to the organization.

Edit: Here are the prime offenders:

Apple Inc.
Hewlett-Packard Inc.
Intel Corporation
Microsoft Corporation
Renesas Corporation
STMicroelectronics
Texas Instruments

1 Like

It would be pretty funny to ask them that via fax, but really it looks like we need a road trip to Oregon.

2 Likes

/me begins compiling list of active volcanoes.

I have one of these. And for some reason it gets rather hot when just sitting there in my laptop usb port.

I can understand it getting hot when you are reading or writing it, but it gets hot even when idly sitting in the port. That smells of bad power management.

It even gets so hot that I don’t really dare to leave it in.

Which brings me to the second nitpick I have with these tiny usb drives: they’re just too small. I keep losing them.

1 Like

Mt. St. Helens is conveniently close.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.