Santa Clara fire department: Verizon's pants are on fire

Besides the video from drones you also have tons of people running mapping applications for coordination and not getting lost. There is also sat/air photo downloads for situational analysis.

But even if they’re running torrents for the latest copy of Madden these people are putting their lives on the line and don’t need to be put in danger over some penny pinching.

3 Likes

You are framing this as a moral question. Also, Verizon disagrees with you, FTA:

Verizon yesterday acknowledged that it shouldn’t have continued throttling Santa Clara County Fire Department’s “unlimited” data service while the department was battling the Mendocino Complex Fire. Verizon said the department had chosen an unlimited data plan that gets throttled to speeds of 200kbps or 600kbps after using 25GB a month but that Verizon failed to follow its policy of “remov[ing] data speed restrictions when contacted in emergency situations.”

Arguing over what people have a right to is just legalism.

1 Like

It all boils down to this (see below), and no amount of rules will take the place of the general societal expectation to do the right thing.

“The Question” and your Mama

Verizon definitely messed up, but I am not alone in blaming the firefighters for not buying a plan that met their needs. If anyone should be aware of the need to be prepared for rare events it should be firefighters. Although fighting active fires is a big part of FD activity, they also do outreach and inspections to make sure everyone else is ready for the big one. Somehow I suspect it was the cowboy run and gun division that messed this up, not the preparation division.

Wow! Victim blaming the emergency services for doing their job in an almost unprecedented crisis; lady, I respectfully suggest you go and have a real long talk with yourself in the mirror, and report back on whether you actually like what you see.

1 Like

Is @Loren_Pechtel female? “Loren” is normally a man’s name, but I think your sentence could’ve stood alone without alluding to gender.

download

Huh? Somebody actually realized that “Loren” is male? Is the moon blue or something?

(The mistake is so common I normally let it be unless my gender matters for some reason. Just because it’s a purely female name now doesn’t mean it wasn’t the male spelling when I was born.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.