Satellite image reveals crater in Beirut

Just a shade less powerful than the Halifax explosion in 1917.

5 Likes

Yeah looking at the street plan (which makes sense, the major roads parallel the waterfront) I can see how buildings would have all been hit on their most exposed sides (front and back). If the scene had been rotated 90 degrees, the shock would have gone along the roads and hit the buildings from the sides, where they will have fewer openings.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I would never have thought of that. I’m wondering if there’s also partly a difference in definitions though. The “heavy damage” circle from The Guardian is pretty similar to the outer circle from Nukemap. But The Guardian doesn’t define exactly what they mean by “heavy damage” and Nukemap doesn’t say there’s no damage outside the circle. Based on the footage I’ve seen I doubt the “heavy damage” ring was just broken windows though.

3 Likes

Do they? Surely that’s a minority of " 'ealth 'n safety gone mad!" loonies. I think most reasonable people know exactly why those codes exist.

3 Likes
1 Like

Professionals do. Unreasonable people don’t. According to them, everything would be cheaper and better if there were no emissions regulations for cars or water quality regulations for lakes and rivers. Or life was easier if you could just do your own 220V wiring in your house. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

For a very large minority of people in the US, Health and Safety regulations are a lib’rul plot with no purpose other than to undermine prosperity. For those people repealing said regulations, or at the very least having a sneering contempt for and ignoring them whenever possible, amounts to a performative act of “patriotism.”

2 Likes

I dunno… I know people who work in fields who benefit from them and still complain about some of them.

Same for people wanting to do their own home repairs or add ons.

1 Like

The silo was designed and built by a Czechoslovak company.
BTW the famous Hiroshima building in the epicenter of the blast was designed by a czech architect too.

4 Likes

Story Czechs out.

5 Likes

The heartbreaking story emerging now, is how people were agitating for years to get this stuff moved out safely, and their voces fell on deaf ears.

Something rotten in the port district. I know my home town has a corruption problem with its port, and after watching The Wire, I suspect every port has a similar dynamic.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.