Saudis halved the death toll in Hajj stampede: true count is 1453

What does the fall of Constantinople have to do with anything here? At this point, it was a failing city, disconnected form the rest of Orthodox Christendom and from the Catholic church in the west. The Ottoman conquering of Constantinople give that city a new historical standing and incorporated it into a rather powerful, long-standing force in European politics that was far and away better at sustaining a very multi-confessional empire that Europeans were at that time (at least until the mid-19th century, when Europeans put pressure on the Ottomans to “modernize” into a modern bureaucracy).

Let’s not forget that that capital was also sacked by Christian invaders from the West, as their first stop to “take back” the holy land…

The issue is almost always about power and resources, not necessarily religion (though religion can indeed provide a catalyst and justification for violence - it’s just not the only one). Historically non-religious ideologies have been just as violent and brutal as religious ones, and there are plenty of examples of religion being used for liberation (the classical,King led civil rights movement and the work of the Quakers in the US is one example). If we snapped our fingers and all belief in god ended, do you honestly think we’d all of a sudden live in a more peaceful and just world?

6 Likes

To add, oftentimes it’s those in power, using religion to rally support by whipping up religious fervour to enable their power expansions. Failing a belief in a deity, nationalism works just as well.

1 Like

You’ve met @Mindysan33, our resident historian.
Welcome.

2 Likes

5 Likes

If you have more stories or thoughts you’d wish to share, I for one would happily read them.

4 Likes

I once singed my eyebrows and burned a hole in my favorite messenger bag while setting a ping-pong ball on fire. (I had just discovered they were made of nitrocellulose.)

In all seriousness, I’ve never done the Hajj myself. Everything I know is second-hand, but everyone who’s ever made the pilgrimage basically tells you the same story with variations on the particulars. The crowd I tend to hear about it from are pretty well off, though. So I haven’t gotten any of the stories of what it’s like to do if you’re poor.

One fun story a friend told me is that the Saudi religious authorities do enforce Islamic law during the Hajj, and there was a man attempting to cut or shave his hair (on his head.) Men are supposed to shave their heads at a certain point in the process to signify purification and spiritual “rebirth” but you can’t do it too early. So this guy was trying to shave his head in public (because as I said earlier, everyone is doing everything during the Hajj and it’s all pretty much happening all at once) and the religious authorities appeared and wordlessly took his shaving kit from him and walked away, leaving him half-bald and bewildered.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.