Scary video of "pyroclastic flow" chasing a screaming man in Japan

I assumed it was a static CCTV camera. Even a camera on a tripod would have survived, even if the operator didn’t.

The Wilhelm is hilarious so almost anything is more chilling :slight_smile:

1 Like

Go look at places that were actually hit by pyroclastic flows. Example - the remains of the city of Plymouth on Montserrat are easily viewable on the net. Are you sure a camera would have survived??

Thanks to everyone who replied to my bad-tempered comment. I withdraw my request for addition to the DwBB list; I’ll just go on whatever list is disappointed with Mark’s editorial skills.

2 Likes

Scary video of “pyroclastic flow” chasing a screaming man in Japan

No need to ask why the scare quotes.

1 Like

Given that it stored video on tape, perhaps not so sure.

edit: also my thinking is that flows like this kill by smothering people and displacing oxygen in the air, so equipment like cameras would get dusty, but wouldn’t be really harmed.

Okay, wrong viewing choice right before bed.

1 Like

Giant gray clouds give you nightmares?

I can watch the most horrific violent events in a movie and be totally unmoved, but show me even relatively tame but actual footage of someone in mild danger and it haunts me. That’s why I gave up on horror movies as a kid. I’d sit there and try and figure out how the special effects worked instead of losing myself in the faux terror. Even when watching SF, a corner of my mind is unavoidably aware someone spent hundreds of man-hours setting up that shot or rendering the CGI. Stranger still, I have no problem suspending disbelief while reading, but it just doesn’t work in my brain during passive entertainment. The one exception is that I do get uneasy if I know I’m watching a work of fiction that was based, however tangentially and unfaithfully, on actual suffering.

Fortunately last night my dreams were their usual bizarre and hard to classify self, mixing despair, being lost in the forest of the Northwestern United States, and some seriously offbeat and beautiful architecture my brain decided to throw in for whatever reason. I know it sounds clichéd, but I get no small amount of my story ideas from my dreams.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.