Amazing footage of an avalanche in Kyrgyzstan

Originally published at: Amazing footage of an avalanche in Kyrgyzstan | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Wow 

3 Likes

That sucker wasn’t stopping for anything. Gravity may be weak, but its reach is broad.

6 Likes

Missing audio track:

“Hey, looks what’s happening over there…”

“It sure is moving pretty fast…”

“You don’t suppose it will reach…”

“Oh shit!l”

4 Likes

Most British response ever to impending doom. Not even a raised voice or a swear. “Oh god. Oh dear god.”

6 Likes

Some cuts and banging around. They were very lucky to be at a big solid rock formation when it hit. “Chunks of ice the size of cars”.

10 Likes

Where you hide behind rocks to avoid the rocks coming at you, not thinking that those rocks were once seemingly as solid as what is now shielding you.

6 Likes

I agree about the avalanche being amazing, and very scary, but disagree about the vertical camera. For once, it’s exactly suitable here, giving us a good focused view of an event happening largely on the vertical axis and along a narrow path.

11 Likes

“oh dear god” is the exact reaction I had when he zoomed out to show where he’s standing.

3 Likes

the human instinct for self-preservation isn’t always as strong as one would assume in the face of Likes.

2 Likes

“This is a great place to shoot the video, it nice and far away!”

. . .

“Oh, crap!”

1 Like

that’s probably some nothing to what’s been happening at the poles

“I don’t think this is the right way to react to an avalanche coming at you”

Except that he lived, and he got the clicks and the retweets and the reposts, so yes, this makes it all worthwhile for the brave and/or stupid who spit in Darwin’s face.

1 Like

What you must remember is that YOU CAN’T OUTRUN AN AVALANCHE! Or outski it either. Even running sideways to get away from its path is a toss-up.
What you do is take cover behind the biggest rock or tree that you can find, hang on and pray it is solid enough take the impact.
In this case, since he was a single step away from cover, he did exactly the right thing, except maybe cutting it very close and taking that single step at the very last second.

6 Likes

If i was down in the potential path of an avalanche i’m pretty sure i’d be panicking from the get go
Excited Rocket Man GIF

1 Like

There are good Avalanches:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.