Tourists at a lagoon in Iceland make a run for it when part of the glacier collapses

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/01/tourists-at-a-lagoon-in-icelan.html

5 Likes

Hell’s bells! That is some impressive splash. At first I thought, “What’s the big deal?”; then the waves started and kept on coming.

20 Likes

Run, Forrest! Run!

10 Likes

If you look on the far right corner, you can see it was a really close call for the doofus who thought moving closer to the water after the collapse was a smart idea.

Also, the other person on the right who believes that physics won’t apply to him if he’s filming something with his camera is lucky his companion had more sense and started hustling him out.

11 Likes

That’s why they call it Ice Land.

10 Likes

I had he same internal dialog.

“Why are they running. This is the chance for a unique long exposure with a nice ND filter… [several seconds later]. Oh shit! I would have been the idiot that gets killed trying to get the epic shot!”

Glad everyone was ok.

17 Likes

Though “Glacier and Volcano Land” comes at a distant second

5 Likes

takes notes in imaginary moleskin notebook*

*Now 60% off in the Boing Boing Store!!!

8 Likes

Kind of more of a scamper than a run.

1 Like

“. . .and as we lay Garymon to rest, I’m sure we can all appreciate that the picture recovered from the camera’s memory card was indeed, quite bitchin’. Could’ve been framed a bit better but, oh well. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. . . .”

16 Likes

At least I went out shoot’n.

16 Likes

It’s all fun and games until the day someone slips on all that ice.

2 Likes

“Beach”

Word

1 Like

Papasaaan! Now la goon too far!

4 Likes

You SAY everyone stayed dry, but I doubt everyone kept the same pants on after that happened.

9 Likes

I saw some video from a tourist visit to Antarctica with people standing around on a beach that penguins were using. Across the bay, a chunk of ice calved off into the water. All of the penguins immediately started a quick waddle to higher ground. (Yes, as the people either stood there watching/filming, or only casually moved back.)

#BirdBrainedNotAnInsult

7 Likes

High Intensity Icefield Training

3 Likes

“… I bet he would have made it if he hadn’t shot it in portrait mode …”

5 Likes

Actually it was the stupidly heavy but well built tripod I bought in the 80’s that was my undoing.

Sent from my Ouija board

13 Likes
  1. The reflection on that rolling wave was mesmerizing. No wonder some of the tourists took a few moments to get moving.
    1.a. Good thing they did, because the force of those waves and the huge ice chunks on the beach would have turned it into a meat grinder. Shudder.
8 Likes