Scholars discover a mysterious wave of scientific papers using odd, "tortured phrases"

Originally published at: Scholars discover a mysterious wave of scientific papers using odd, "tortured phrases" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

True, but this contains a nice selection of the tortures.

3 Likes

Yeah, I deleted my comment - there was new content!

3 Likes

In other news: Experts find an inexplicable deluge of technical dissertations utilizing unusual, “enhanced interrogation clauses”

10 Likes

Oh no - Invoice the Research Character is at it again!

4 Likes

With for profit academic journals, spam is a feature not a bug.

5 Likes

What alternative have they got for data scientist? These days, it seems to mean anyone with a database and maybe a website.

3 Likes

Is this an additional exemplar related to the frequently encountered paradigm of duplicatory entries at the BoingBoing weblog?

Or a REBOING! (Even if it adds more detail.)

4 Likes

Hmmmmm. Maybe it’s a super AI in the future, sending scientific papers into the past, to cover its tracks in the future.

5 Likes

I agree that “Artificial Intelligence” is so mis-used that another phrase is needed, but “counterfeit consciousness” is so much further off the mark.

3 Likes

I get a lot of these in my college classes. It’s funny/not-funny.

6 Likes

June 3 Superbad GIF

3 Likes

It’s just ‘Machine Learning’. Pavlov’s code.

1 Like

I prefer the term “artificial person” myself.

3 Likes

As a data engineer working with a popular cloud platform, I find “haze figuring” to be the best of the bunch.

3 Likes

I agree that “Artificial Intelligence” is so mis-used that another phrase is needed, but “counterfeit consciousness” is so much further off the mark.

It’s Appliance Pedagogy if it’s written in ASP.

It’s Counterfeit Conscienceness if it’s written in PowerPoint!

1 Like

These papers are so egregiously bad that the presence of a single one in a journal would totally discredit it as a scholarly publication, because obviously no one is even glancing at what they publish.

5 Likes

Another step in the ongoing crappification of the West.

2 Likes

Yeah, it reminded me of the plagiarized papers I got while teaching during grad school - a light rewording here and there without attribution. So much easier if you can automate it.

3 Likes

I’m not up on academia but apparently there’s been a proliferation of pay-to-play journals in recent years. Sebastian Gorka had to publish his thesis somewhere.

4 Likes