Sci-Fi Sundays: The Original Science Fiction Stories, March 1957

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/11/sci-fi-sundays-the-original-s.html

4 Likes

Pro tip: if you have to put bullets in it, it’s not a ray-gun. (Maybe a rocket gun, like in You Only Live Twice.)

But yes, it looks like the lady is getting ready to dispode of both the guys. And looking forward to it.

8 Likes

These scans from back-in-the-day are dandy. I always loved the illustrations and appreciate the deconstruction from both the writer and commenters. These were the days when science gave us a vision of a better tomorrow and which predicted The Jetsons with comical accuracy. Thanks!

On the cover I see two dead guys and a rather satisfied woman.

1 Like

This is a fascinating illustration for 1957.

The typography, composition, and even the hair styles look like they could be from the mid-30s. It’s OOPArt!

2 Likes

“Elixirs of love were in the province of Magic, not alcherage.”

Alcherage!

1 Like

April 1st on a Saturday isn’t 1957, so maybe the story is supposed to be set in the 1930s?

So cool Caleb! Dig.

I didn’t realise that you were scanning these yourself. Can I suggest that you obtain a piece of black paper and place it behind the page when you scan, to prevent show-through from the other side?

Certainly a rocket gun, to minimise destabilizing yourself in freefall by the recoil of an ordinary gun:

4 Likes

Maybe it’s a battery? Or ion cartridge?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.