Scientists create observable "baby wormhole" simulation using new quantum processor

Originally published at: Scientists create observable "baby wormhole" simulation using new quantum processor | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I really wish the quote was:

I wouldn’t mind wondering if I woke up in a different dimension.

2 Likes

Wormhole research, eh? Nothing to worry about. It isn’t like we’re going to end up Knee-Deep in the Dead.

8 Likes

So does this work as evidence suggesting that wormholes are theoretically possible? (I know there’s controversy about that.) Was the simulation even testing that? My introduction to this news was clickbait “Scientists create wormhole!” nonsense that made me distrust anything the article would say.

Edit: It sounds like not - that perhaps the model being used for this was too simplistic for it to provide much evidence much in this regard and wasn’t the point.

4 Likes

Well…

https://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=13181

which references:

“The most important thing I’d want New York Times readers to understand is this,” Scott Aaronson, a quantum computing expert at the University of Texas in Austin, wrote in an email. “If this experiment has brought a wormhole into actual physical existence, then a strong case could be made that you, too, bring a wormhole into actual physical existence every time you sketch one with pen and paper.”

7 Likes

Not again, surely.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Meh, it was only good for teeny, tiny worms anyhow.

2 Likes

… it’s more like “minting an NFT of a portal to a parallel universe” :thinking:

2 Likes

Is this a real quantum processor, or one of the many “quantum processors” that are really just simulators or VMs that behave in quantum processor ways?

“baby wormhole”

…Oh my God…it’s full of babies!

2 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like

Do you want to violate causality? Because this is how you violate causality.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.