Scientists just got a glimpse of what happened a half-second after the Big Bang

People have been doing this all throughout the course of the Big Bang’s history. There is no shortage at all of critiques – many of them published within peer-reviewed journals.

There is, however, a real shortage of people reading these critiques and anomalous observations – in part because there is no sense of order today in the arguments against established theory. As is, it can take years to get to the bottom of a single controversy. I chuckle when people think they’ve understood the Electric Universe by simply passing a Tom Bridgman link titled “Creationism in Astronomy”. The people passing this around have clearly not even considered that the EU is a steady-state theory. There is no creation event; Bridgman simply claims that the EU is analogous in certain aspects – except its adherence to an actual creation event – to creationism. People buy this stuff because Bridgman works with NASA. It’s the narrative of his credentials. It’s really that easy to disengage the rational mind.

The Natural Philosophy Alliance has tried to bring some order to the fringes which surround established theory, and I have great respect for Greg Volk’s perseverance. Unfortunately, I would argue that they have so far failed to pull it off. This is not just a problem of creating a platform where against-the-mainstream thinkers can publish and review one another. That is just one single aspect of what is needed. The real problem is that when we are looking at arguments against conventional theory, there is always a problem with engaging the rational mind. When we are looking at a new idea, our System 1 (see prior post) is popping all sorts of questions and pre-formed narratives into our heads. We need a system for cataloging ideas which identifies these inner voices, and responds to them sort of similar to the way that consumer packaged goods (CPG) manufacturers – like Unilever, Clorox and Proctor & Gamble – create product packaging. These two very different subjects are – oddly enough – linked, in that marketing is designed to elicit the irrational. What I suggest needs to be done is to take that body of research, and use it as a starting point for figuring out how to elicit the opposite – rational thought.

I have a good feel for what needs to be created. I could even create a pretty detailed design brief if I found people who were willing to work on this. But it’s taken me 8 years to get to this point. Now what? Nobody seems to care. There are no programmers who want to work on this. It’s quite tricky to come up with a business model which deals with this. And everybody is trying to build sexting apps. There is no awareness that there is any problem. The narratives dominate our realities.

On this specific point, I’d like to suggest that we all should care about having accurate beliefs about the universe. They act as the foundation for our views about our own lives. And even though we may lack the time to dig into every argument, we all have an interest in seeing the best ideas win out. So, this idea that particular individuals should be fully responsible for new ideas in science is perhaps the way things are today – but maybe something which we might culturally question.

Forgetting for a moment about the content of the theory, what is it about having one dominant idea in cosmology which appeals to people? When a person is told one option for belief, all the listener can do is either remember or forget it. When there are two or more options for belief, then the mind goes to work trying to figure out which is better supported by each new observation. The fact that most people today are not going out of their way to expose themselves to competing, divergent theories is really problematic, because one of the first things that happens when you start that important process is that you will observe how easy it is for either paradigm to explain the same observation. Most people do not expect this, and it causes them to take many things for granted in science – like assuming the narrative that when the truth comes, it will be easy to spot. That’s absolutely untrue. The are many truths out there today which are actively being argued against right now by the “experts”. So, the public basically has to make a decision: Do we simply passively absorb whatever it is that the experts tell us? Or, are we active participants in our own beliefs in science?

Now, when it comes to the universe, probably many people will imagine that they don’t actually care. It’s too remote, and irrelevant to our lives. But, if I told you that our beliefs about how the universe works have an indirect influence upon the types of questions people ask in biology and medicine, then probably more ears perk up. Or, if I told you that researchers recently dated the recent Mt St Helens lava flows to millions of years old, then all sorts of questions start popping into peoples’ heads. Or, if I showed you evidence that global catastrophe is a recurring phenomenon here on Earth, then we are getting closer to issues which concern people.

There is a resistance against working on these big problems which seem to us unrelated to our everyday lives. And this is largely why the astrophysicists and cosmologists are basically free to say whatever it is they wish: Because our inner narrative is that, whatever they have to say, we are not in any immediate danger. And that will basically seem to be true probably up until the moment that it isn’t.

First, I have to mention one word that will likely help your case: brevity. Second, I did ignore the linked book because frankly I’m not that interested, and also because I’ve kinda already written you off as a mild crank (sorry). Also, I mentioned the language of conspiracy theorists because some of your writing, as I read it, sounds similar to the breathless declarations of conspiracy theorists without regard to the thing they feel is a conspiracy. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck and so on.
Finally, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Should a scientist or scientists come forward with reliable and accurate data that refutes the BB theory, then so be it. Until that happens, I’m happy where I stand.

After reading through a lot of what is on here, Imma gonna say this: Stay on topic!

Bang, schmang. What we perceive of as the ‘Big Bang’ was the machine our simulation runs on bootstrapping it’s way out of its first 640k of memory…

Okay, folks, this is where we need the community to start responding with “System 1”. If we want to have real scientific discourse, we have to start differentiating rational from irrational sense-making.

I’m utterly stoked that this thread is going to close automatically in 2 more days.

1 Like

What I try to tell people – and this is based upon my own experiences – is that the deeper you dig into the mysteries of the cosmos, the more you will learn about how people think. These are what are called “wicked” problems, and we can learn a lot about human decision-making by watching people grapple with them. These two topics – the effectiveness of our thinking, and our conceptions of the universe – should be treated as the same topic, for we will never get to truth using a thinking machine which we don’t even understand, and which is interjecting all sorts of irrational thoughts into our sense-making.

In cosmology, we are at the very limits of science. We have to not only be aware of our tendency to favor simplistic narratives, but we also have to know what all of these narratives are – and take each step in light of that awareness. This is why it’s vital that anybody who is concerned about the actual accuracy of their thoughts about the universe must necessarily also be familiar with Kahneman’s work. This will elevate your critical thinking skills by an order of magnitude. It’s obviously not the only thing out there which ails scientific discourse, but it is the most important.

Unfortunately, the problems that plague science education, discourse and scientific discovery will go on.

From the Guardian two days ago

We need more scientific mavericks

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts,” said Richard Feynman in the 1960s. But times change. Before about 1970, academics had access to modest funding they could use freely. Industry was similarly enlightened. Their results included the transistor, the maser-laser, the electronics and telecommunications revolutions, nuclear power, biotechnology and medical diagnostics galore that enriched the lives of virtually everyone; they also boosted 20th-century economic growth.

After 1970, politicians substantially expanded academic sectors. Peer review’s uses allowed the rise of priorities, impact etc, and is now virtually unavoidable. Applicants’ proposals must convince their peers that they serve national policies and are the best possible uses of resources. Success rates are about 25%, and strict rules govern resubmissions. Rejected proposals are usually lost. Industry too has lost its taste for the unpredictable. The 500 major discoveries, almost all initiated before about 1970, challenged mainstream science and would probably be vetoed today. Nowadays, fields where understanding is poor are usually neglected because researchers must convince experts that working in them will be beneficial.

However, small changes would keep science healthy. Some are outlined in Donald Braben’s book, Promoting the Planck Club: How Defiant Youth, Irreverent Researchers and Liberated Universities Can Foster Prosperity Indefinitely. But policies are deeply ingrained. Agencies claiming to support blue-skies research use peer review, of course, discouraging open-ended inquiries and serious challenges to prevailing orthodoxies. Mavericks once played an essential role in research. Indeed, their work defined the 20th century. We must relearn how to support them, and provide new options for an unforeseeable future, both social and economic. We need influential allies. Perhaps Guardian readers could help?

It’s your opinion it’s the most important and you also bring up this opinion again and again, not staying on topic. If you want to discuss it, that’s fine. Just start a new thread.

1 Like

Is that a thetan “System 1”, or is that SRA code for “Demon in the basement”?

2 Likes

We are all in agreement here, but I think where people go wrong is in the assumption that they can identify support for alternative models or paradigms without actually learning the basics. In the case of the Electric Universe, it appears that people insist that they can identify the paradigm’s applicability to the real world without learning about the behavior of laboratory plasmas. That’s problematic. This is a cosmology about plasmas. You need to understand what plasmas do.

What the Thunderbolts group has attempted to do is to explain the science on terms which regular people can understand. Some people unfortunately then get confused into thinking that this is all there is. That’s not true, for IEEE’s Transactions on Plasma Science have been publishing on this topic for many years now.

What we are seeing sporadic signs of now is an increasing awareness of the incredible claims coming from the Astrophysical Journal. Rational people will rightly question assertions that we know exactly what was happening when the universe was born. And what I suggest is that people should go one step further, and ask why some people even think that we know.

It’s actually surprising to me that there is a perception that the accuracy of our beliefs in cosmology is somehow unrelated to our ability to think clearly and without bias. We’ve really taken specialization to an extreme.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.