Scientists make transparent wood

The trick is to ignore everyone but robert picardo.

3 Likes

Not only that but what about the process involved? How much energy is needed to remove the lignin and what about the waste produced?

Places get renamed. Look for New Amsterdam on Google Maps some time. The place is still there, is effing huge and famous, but not listed on modern maps.

4 Likes

Why they changed it I can’t say…

15 Likes

People just liked it better that way

12 Likes

Transparent wood? Big deal – I’ve had glow in the dark wood since the late 80’s…

5 Likes

From previously reading about it, it sounds like the wood-plastic composite is significantly stronger than the plastic by itself. But it’s also wrong to call it “transparent wood” - it’s more accurate to say that it’s plastic strengthened through the use of a heavily processed wood product.

1 Like

Great. Now we can’t see the forrest or the trees.

9 Likes

7 Likes

Invisible wood!

2 Likes

Reminds me of TerraSkin. It’s environmentally friendly! It’s paper made from stone! It’s, uh, 25% resin.

If no one else is going to say the obvious then I will:
These folks can’t see the forest for the trees.
You’re welcome.

2 Likes

Oh no. Thank @Timoth3y.

1 Like

Haven’t we seen transparent wood here on BB before?

3 Likes

I would like to make a drum set from out of this. Transparent plastic kits have always been a tradeoff: look cool, but sound awful. Not anymore!

3 Likes

Great for entertaining enemies on your 17th story penthouse balcony. Transparent railings! Honest!

Sure coulda used some transparent wood in the seventh grade!

happy?

1 Like

yawn… stabilized bleached wood

If we are going to compare it to glass then I would say the word these researchers were looking for is “translucent” not transparent.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m going to bet that it changes the sound significantly.

I use a fair amount of acrylic stabilized wood (both open and closed cell), and it definitely has different physical properties than normal wood. Not quite plastic, but not normal wood either…

1 Like