Screw optimism, we need hope instead

[Read the post]

4 Likes

“Don’t destroy the Earth! That’s where I keep all my stuff!”

Good point.

10 Likes

All of my stuff is here. Especially that rug that ties the room together.

4 Likes

Screw optimism and fuck hope, Let’s do something. I’d like to see an online, real time World Game* for the benefit of all who will allow the benefit of all, as my friend Milt Raymond used to say.

Today, we have the technology to play the World Game* online in real time with interactive maps and live satellite feeds. Imagine World of Peacecraft or the Final Fantasy of a sustainable, restorative economy and ecology for everybody, all 100% of the human population with much of that 100% participating as co-designers.

*The goal of the World Game or World Peace Game is to “make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological damage or disadvantage to anyone.” It’s usually played on a large map of the Earth and was designed in 1961 by R Buckminster Fuller, who wrote “Quite clearly, our task is predominantly metaphysical, for it is how to get all of humanity to educate itself swiftly enough to generate spontaneous behaviors that will avoid extinction.”

Screw optimism. Fuck hope. Building the world is rebuilding the world and it’s always happening now. It’s that kicking in the lonely sea.

2 Likes

I know and love that line, but have never seen The Tick.

Time to correct this injustice!

1 Like

I thought we needed a bigger boat?

1 Like

Make sure you stick to the animated version and not the live-action Patrick Warburton vehicle by mistake.

1 Like

Personally, I enjoyed both.

2 Likes

I’m not sure when I’d ever take live-action over animation.

Maybe batman, star wars, the hobbit…there are probably others, but in general

1 Like

Maybe I just never saw enough to win me over. It put me off from the beginning by introducing weird off-brand versions of the supporting characters because they couldn’t get the rights for the originals. It would be like seeing a version of Batman where his adversaries were The Puffin, The Prankster and Miss Feline.

My ex is an optimist. If someplace is 15 minutes away, she hits the road exactly 15 minutes before she needs to arrive. She’s almost always late.

I’m the pessimist who thinks there might be a traffic jam or something, better build in some leeway. But I’m not the kind who thinks the car is certain to explode so I’d better not go.

Optimism is assuming politicians and regulators will see reason.

3 Likes

Those do sound credibly like Tick villains.

That’s naivity.

FTFY

2 Likes

Hey, @doctorow : you know how Einstein established that time is relative, right? Like, your future can be my past depending on our relative velocities, and how that implies that the future is no less fluid than the past… meaning the future is fixed.

It’s like Bill Hicks said: it’s just a ride, man.

…I guess maybe you can decide which bit of the Multiverse you want to inhabit, but perhaps that’s a bit of a stretch.

I reckon a live-action King of the Hill could be better than the original… It’d benefit from more nuance in facial expressions, and needs to be animated in no way at all.

It worked for Alan Moore.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.