Sculpting a hand from clay

I refer the honourable gentleman to my first comment.

1 Like

I mainly just use dictionaries for looking up definitions. But hey, there’s also the “insist that my personal definition is the One True Meaning regardless of what the rest of society says” method.

3 Likes

Popular opinion is not the same as true or correct.I suggest you continue to use dictionaries for that purpose and abandon them as a tool for debate. Unless you actually are in the tenth grade.

Popular consensus of meaning is EXACTLY how language works. Your limited definition of “sculpture” is at odds with not only dictionaries and popular opinion but art museums, galleries and historians. But sure, go ahead and cling to the “everybody is stupid except me” if that makes you feel better.

I suggest you continue to use dictionaries for that purpose and abandon them as a tool for debate.

Repeating an assertion without offering evidence to support it is not “debate.”

4 Likes
  1. Popular consensus has nothing to do with truth - and if you believe the reverse, see your counselor ASAP as this is how many terrible mistake begin. If Freddie told you all the guys were jumping off the bridge…
  2. This is not about language. This is about art.
  3. “Your limited definition of “sculpture” is at odds with not only dictionaries and popular opinion but art museums, galleries and historians. But sure, go ahead and cling to the “everybody is stupid except me” if that makes you feel better.” Hmm. We’ve dealt with using dictionaries as a reference manual for art history already. You have not previously cited museums, galleries or historians. I await with eagerness your bibliography. Your last comment says a lot. But possibly not what you hoped…
  4. I am just explaining to those who don’t know the difference between modeling and sculpture. I am truly sorry that you have got in a bit of a hissy fit and I don’t understand why.

If you don’t believe that the meaning of a word has anything to do with how it is popularly used or defined then how do you know I haven’t been agreeing with you this whole time?

7 Likes

Sounds a bit gritty, but it’s probably very good for the skin. And who am I to judge how someone makes enough money to start a career in sculpting.

ETA: Wow, there’s a lot of NSFW images for this. Looking at sculptors in a whooole new light now.

6 Likes

Yes, using shared definitions of words as a basis for language is exactly like the Genocide of Native Americans.

3 Likes

A disgraceful misrepresentation of what I said. Shame on you. Conversation over.

Obligatory:

And it says a lot about you that when your friends jump off a bridge en masse, your first thought is apparently ‘my friends are all foolish and I won’t be like them’ and not ‘are my friends ok?’

9 Likes

Recursive self-assertion?
I sculpted a portrait for ya

8 Likes

It is in presuppositional apologetics…

1 Like

Holy shit that’s a revelation for me,

I thought they used a cast of his head. Figured whatever product he was using for his hair must be some serious shit.

check this documentary about making the original video

3 Likes

While you were arguing discussing, the piece of art blew up in the kiln.

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking as I was watching the video… Will it fire?

1 Like

The things that get people’s dander up sometimes…

4 Likes

Dander does not go up – it falls down onto one’s shoulders.

4 Likes

It’s the principle though!

6 Likes

http://boingboing.net/2016/09/15/482968.html:

Nicholls created a steel frame and bulked it out using polystyrene and wire mesh, before sculpting the surface in clay

Moderately credible sources:

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking too. In the voice of every single ceramics/ pottery teacher I’ve ever had classes with.

1 Like