Sea shanties are cool, and so are union work songs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/16/sea-shanties-are-cool-and-so-are-union-work-songs.html

7 Likes
10 Likes

At the confluence of these two ideas, you’ll find the Canadian folk-rock group Great Big Sea, who were doing this style of music before it became popular, and who did a version of the chemical workers’ song:

12 Likes

This reminds me in sound, a lot of Billy Brag.

5 Likes

When I was a kid, we were treated to Isla St Clair singing “You Dirty Blackleg Miner” on children’s BBC.

4 Likes

(How I wish I were in Sherbrooke now…)

5 Likes
11 Likes

Always worth giving the Chumbawamba album English Rebel Songs 1381–1914 (or 1381–1984 depending on which recording you are looking at) a listen. Struck a cord in the late 80’s early 90’s in the UK what with the Student Loans and Poll tax protests.

12 Likes

Gosh darn them all!

(Credit to Nigel Russell)

5 Likes

For union songs, protest tunes, and political satire, you might want to check out LeftTwitch’s own chaos bard, Jacob Minter, aka @Mitnerd33. (The timing on this stinks, because as I type he’s just finishing up a livestream.) But he’s got a lot of work posted on YouTube too.

(Content warning-- there’s swearing, sexual references and such involved, so please consider the livestreams NSFW.)

He hasn’t done any sea shanties yet.

4 Likes

Thematically but not musically similar, we have

2 Likes

Here’s a good version of that song:

1 Like

One of my favs:

3 Likes

As opposed to the not-good version? To me Stan Rogers’s original has a sea shanty feel that this lacks (granted that Rogers wrote it in 1976 or thereabouts).

2 Likes

My favorite collection of sea shanties

1 Like

Workers song from the modern era. The kids almost did it too.

4 Likes

I love this old textile mill worker song, too.

2 Likes

The Wobbly Little Red Song Book includes the music, or what song it was set to (using existing music made it easier for the songs to prolagate, because the music was already known).

Don’tforget Utah Phillips, and Woody Guthrie.

3 Likes

Stan Rogers’ best IMO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVY8LoM47xI Not union, or all that nautical, but an exploration epic.

4 Likes

They are both good!!!

2 Likes