Sea shanties are cool, and so are union work songs

Which side are you on, boys? WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?

6 Likes

Let’s all go rent Matewan tonight.

3 Likes

Hearts starve as well as bodies
Give us bread, but give us roses

Alternative version: The women of Manchester greet the 2015 Tory Party Conference train from London. October 3rd 2015.

5 Likes

I’ve always thought it would be interesting to perform the songbook of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union.

1 Like

Woof.

The whole film is pretty damn woke. I watched it a couple of weeks ago because it was on sale on Apple TV and it’s aged surprisingly well.

4 Likes

It’s a great song that I only recently discovered. (I’m American.) There are two great covers of it I found on Spotify.

1 Like

Sea shanties are not cool – one goddamn sea shanty was done in a cool way, and people copied it. What are you, the brainless freaking New York Times that thinks 3 vaguely similar things constitute a new social trend?

As much as I think labor unions are a vital practice if we’re ever to pull the world back from the almost inevitable brink of disaster the capitalist pigs have taken it to, union songs are not especially interesting.

One of America’s greatest artists…

9 Likes
4 Likes

This is such an amazing thread.

I’d love to jump into TikTok and participate but honestly I’ve been waiting for any memo that there was a safer version of TikTok out there, or that TikTok (as the wholly-owned subsidiary of Oracle®) mended their ways and stopped stealing our clipboard contents and stopped punching holes into our smartphone security.

1 Like

A voice so pure - a vision so clear
I’ve got to learn to live like you
Learn to sing like you

It’s not Paul Robeson, but it’s about him.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Also the albums that Utah Phillips and Anni defranco did together :heart:, because of defranco i got to see him live before he past, it was excellent.

2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Yes, yes I am, and my words are more important than ever!

10 Likes

Pretty sure Barrett’s Privateers is a modern folk revival composition and not an actual sailors’s song, but I still love it!

3 Likes

And done to the music for Woody’s “Tom Joad” (which I think was resused from elsewhere).

It all gets confusing, because Billy Bragg’s song about Phil Ochs is to the tune used by the most common song about Joe Hill.

1 Like