Seattle power utility spent $35,000 to remove drone stuck in power line

Do I get to allocate the costs? I just think that some of those costs are sunk and would occur whether drone removal occurred or not.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert, I just have an opinion.

1 Like

Not enough, but they do get songs!

3 Likes

I am NOT a municipal finance expert. I just have an opinion. I don’t know how much of the costs are variable and flexible or fixed. Doesn’t seem like they do this type of thing all the time or perhaps we would see more news reports about them, but that was why I ask about other events requiring the same attention to the lines like kites, birds and squirrels. From the article:

While City Light has had to retrieve many kites from power lines over the years, Thomsen said this was the first drone, and the task was made more complicated because the tiny aircraft was stuck in a taller, higher-voltage transmission line rather than the shorter, lower-voltage lines that carry power into homes.

I hate arguing and splitting hairs but I feel like you said something I didn’t say. I didn’t say they were at home I said (other work)…

I was thinking out loud in this forum about whether the $35,000 represents a real additional cost to the municipality due to removing the drone or is it already included in the maintaining lines budget. It seems inflated to be scary. I still say inflated. Also, don’t fly your drones into power lines, kids, it produces a nuisance and is an extra cost for everybody.

1 Like

A Seattle City Light crew had to re-route electricity and rent a special
carriage before ultimately taking down a drone that was stuck in the
air for the past week 120 feet above Lake Union’s Mallard Cove.

It was over water too which made things trickier. I’m sure a good part of the cost was this special carriage they rented.

2 Likes

Now that you mention it, wouldn’t a water canon be ideal for this? They already wash the insulators on high tension lines with something similar so they wouldn’t even need to invest in new gear.

2 Likes

I did some google searching to try to find the cost of the special truck, but only found out things like it costs ~$300,000/mile to install power lines. For a 48’ diesel which I think is not the special tall one that Seattle City Light had to use I can rent it for $675/day. 120’ boom lift which also isn’t right is $2200/day. Other searches all have request a quote. Someone happy mutant here must know how much it really costs for this type of equipment.

1 Like

That’s even better idea than the bean bag, though its disadvantage is that they’d have to deenergize the line.

Take a look at the stuck drone here. That’s 120’ above the ground, midspan over water (300’ away from a pole)…do you really think you’re gonna safely hit it – and dislodge it – with a jet of water or a bean bag?

Line workers earn a median of $70,000 per year. When you add in taxes, training, equipment, admin, etc. they cost anywhere from $70-$100 per hour in the field. Normal bucket trucks run about $150-$200 per hour; big-ass cherry pickers are $400+ per hour. Wouldn’t surprise me if the HT carriage rent was $2,000 plus transport. There’s also some expense from engineering support and rescheduling other work…$12,000-$15,000 for the removal doesn’t seem out of line.

Then there’s the cost of re-routing power from a matrix of 115KV lines; it’s not just flicking a switch. Maybe six line workers, an engineer or two, a super or two, and three-to-five vehicles on-site, plus some careful load monitoring from the generating and interconnect sites…easily $5,000-$8,000 for the “off,” and again for the “on.”

Other news reports gave the cost estimate as $30,000-$35,000; the $35K figure got the most ink. From my experience in building cable TV systems and working around power crews, these numbers don’t seem out of line.

2 Likes

Out fishing in the boonies I’ve flown a kite using a spare fishing rod and reel and some heavy test line so I can get a cell signal from an antenna booster on the kite.

It was actually a pretty sweet rig. You can fly a 2 meter wingspan arrowhead kite to probably illegal altitudes, and the reel makes holding the kite down and bringing it back in pretty easy. Until all of a sudden the tension gives out at 10 meters up and the kite plummets into the lake and sinks.

Reeling in a kite from the bottom of the lake is impossible. The hydrodynamic resistance just doesn’t permit it.

1 Like

I was thinking one of these, but scaled up a little could be ideal for dislodging objects from power lines:

Vortex cannon. Could work too, though I’d put my bets rather on a potato gun and a lot of tennis balls. Or maybe even golf balls would be enough.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.