Secret Nazi experimental plane was an epic piece of vaporware

I teach a class about airplane design, and at one point, I mention the Ho 229. When I do, I like to show the picture below (yes, I asked and credit the owner), which highlights the fact that this futuristic airplane was largely made of wood :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My favorite weird vehicle is the Ekranoplan(e)

6 Likes

This thread reminds me of the old story 'superiority" by Clarke, about the empire with initially superior strength who got obsessed with building better weapons rather than just winning the war with what they already had.

5 Likes

I hate it that the goddam Nazis built some pieces of technology that I find impossible to resist. This is the most irresistible.

1 Like

Adrian_Hillier, thanks for bringing some fact to this article. The vaporware term does not at all apply here.

1 Like

Vaporware is a thing much hyped but just always a couple months away from production. This was never produced, but much hyped. Vaporware has prototypes, but none of the production. Vaporware applies here, especially if you were a nazi being told it was just a couple more months before they perfect it … couple more, just a few more. Any day now… oh phew the war is over and most of my team didn’t get killed.

3 Likes

But can it hear a Who?

1 Like

Man, that movie even nailed the date…

5 Likes

imagehttps://i.pinimg.com/236x/a8/9c/bd/a89cbd6544c77384284b3b9646589215--jack-oconnell-youre-welcome.jpg

5 Likes

Oh, HOLY SHIT! They did, didn’t they! I forgot that it was set in 2018!

Did Iron Sky 2 ever come out? Apparently, later this year?

And of course, Laibach did the soundtrack, because who else you gonna get…

3 Likes

Came to post about the Luft 46 website. Some really odd neat stuff there.

Rammstein?

1 Like

roger wilcox

1 Like

Bruckner?

(when they were still drumming up interest in the movie (good lord that was so long ago already; scuse me while I have an I’m Old moment) they released the resource clips for the original teaser for “remixing”, and I did this one; thought this music worked really well. Honestly though, German composers have a hard enough time due to nazis so perhaps I should have left Bruckner out of it)

2 Likes

Friendly fire was a problem until they painted the planes white.

3 Likes

“The first time I ever saw a 262 I shot it down.”
C. Yeager (P-51 driver)

4 Likes

Yeah but this is a guy who doesn’t believe the sound barrier exists…

Full quote from Twitter:

Nov 6, 1944: 1st time I saw a jet, I shot it down. He was on final-very unsportsmanlike but what the hell? https://t.co/Q0abeS3TMe

— Chuck Yeager (@GenChuckYeager) November 5, 2017
3 Likes

You forgot this one, which is still being used in parts of the world!

1 Like

Well, there is always Wagner…