See an electric 'flying water taxi' skim the San Francisco Bay

Great for a water taxi across a bay but for long term travel I think it’s a nope.

The US Navy did not like them because they were not fuel efficent. Will the electric version actually use less energy than the desiel version did?

1000 gallons of fuel per hour versus 100 gallons per hoour for traditional boats. Anyone know what that would translate to with electric power?

1 Like

As long as the electricity is from sustainable sources, does it matter how much energy it uses?

1 Like

Yes. It matters. There is no such thing as something for nothing. How much petroleum is used to create solar panel films? How is it processed? Any Steel? How about plastics?

1 Like

I hear Mark Zuckerberg’s gonna drop the whole VR thing and focus on hydrofoils from now on. By 2035, he expects to replace the Segway in coastal markets impacted by climate change.

5 Likes

If you need to run on batteries energy use is going to bite you directly in the bill of materials and available cargo volume and mass pretty much immediately.

For things like trains and industrial processes there’s a lot more wiggle room to go with ‘we can do very interesting things with electricity, so long as it’s a lot of electricity’ plans; but once you drag batteries into it the effective drawbacks of energy consumption increase pretty markedly.

3 Likes

These aren’t typical seafaring vessels.

Well yes, they’re a lot smaller than the hydrofoils that are actually seafaring. I’d be cautious about taking one of these things out onto the actual sea, but it’s probably fine in the SF harbour.
If you’re going to sea you want something a bit bigger and more stable:

1 Like

[Humphrey Van Weyden has entered the chat]

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.