See inside this US's largest Bitcoin mining operation. It's in Texas, natch

We already had some big Bitcoin mining operations in progress during the last outage. It turns out they just dialed down production, which they can do, unlike folks who need air conditioning or heat. And then guess what happened?

But thanks to the way Texas power companies deal with large electricity customers like Whinstone, Harris’s bitcoin mine, one of the few owned by a publicly traded company, didn’t suffer. Instead, the state’s electricity operator, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), began to pay Whinstone — for having agreed to quit buying power amid heightened demand.

6 Likes

Virtual capitalism is at least as toxic as the conventional sort.

3 Likes

Directly converting power resources into gold while cutting out the creation of “useful resources” seems like a radical advance in economic thinking.

5 Likes

Obligatory responses:

10 Likes

“Right now, Texas has some of the lowest kilowatt hour prices in America,” says the narrator in this Wired video. “That’s due in part to a deregulated energy market…”

This is the deregulated energy market that falls over when it gets too hot or too cold - right? So extra strain is put on a creaking system built on fossil fuels to perpetuate the Bitcoin scam?

5 Likes

The word ‘parasites’ also comes to mind.

4 Likes

Orbeez are super absorbent polymer beads made of acrylic acid, sodium hydroxide and water

2 Likes

That’s something ivermectin really will cure.

2 Likes

Brandon Arvanaghi, a U.S.-based bitcoin mining engineer

I suppose that there are complex technical problems involved in scaling up crypto-mining to that scale, but you could say the same about building a 200 ton fidget-spinner. Grr.

3 Likes

You know what? Orbeez are what I was trying to think of but I settled on silica gel. Let the intake pipe suck up about hundred pounds or so of those.

Tho if you can dissolve them with salt, seems like too easy of a fix.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.