Serious hotbutton wedge issue!

If Coffee Connection were truly better, they wouldn’t have been replaced by Starbucks!

1 Like

They did they same thing to Coffee People in Oregon. It’s what they do.

But I can’t really hate Starbucks. It’s a place where everybody knows they can use the restroom and hang out for a few hours for less than two bucks when they’re hitchhiking through Bakersfield, even if they’ve never been there before.

4 Likes

Is Caribou Coffee still a thing?

1 Like

Doesn’t ring a bell. Google says they are based in Minnesota?

1 Like

Yep, but they are (were?) all over the Midwest

2 Likes

Serious hotbutton wedge issues!

2 Likes

Well, it’s not them saying it, it’s an article about a study. There is a link to the abstract (full txt behind paywall, natch), and just based on that it looks like the article is a fair interpretation of what the study was looking at.

George Howell sold them in order to concentrate on improving blending and roasting praxis. He still sells coffee, and has been a tremendous resource for specialty coffee everywhere. You can’t really blame *$ for his decision to sell, perhaps we can thank them for indirectly funding Howell’s later work and its role in creating the modern coffee shop.

[quote=“smulder, post:10, topic:98038”]
Coffee People in Oregon.[/quote]
One of my favorite haunts when we lived in Portland. I was commuting to Corvallis, and the Black Tiger Shake is what got me there alive.

[quote=“LearnedCoward, post:11, topic:98038”]
Caribou Coffee[/quote]
Still big, but they are now owned by a holding company (same one that owns Pete’s). They have a history of bad executive decisions, like giving majority ownership to a bank run by someone who thought the Holocaust was a just punishment for the Jews, and suing companies with the word “caribou” in their name, as if they own the species.

Anyone who really wants their coffee roasted in Minnesota would do better by buying from these guys. (Yes, that’s an endorsement.)

6 Likes

Joe Jackson is better than Elvis Costello.

6 Likes
1 Like

Starbucks tried to establish itself in Australia, but mostly failed.

Too much genuine cafe culture here thanks to the wave of Greek/Italian immigration in the 1950’s; Starbucks is distinctly unappealing when you’re accustomed to the real deal.

4 Likes

I can’t decide whether I disagree with that or not…

3 Likes

I’m deeply suspicious of any website that proclaims its ‘reason’ credentials so directly.

1 Like

Not my favourite Joe song, BTW. This is:

Also, I was just watching the video for Costello’s Oliver’s Army. Does anyone recognise who this is?

At first I thought Patrick Stewart, but he would’ve been too young back then.

2 Likes

He had a non-competition clause in effect for quite a few years. I left Massachusetts in 2000 and have only recently learned about what Howell has been doing in retrospect. Yes, it sounds like he has furthered the global coffee cause. But as somebody working on the streets of Boston/Cambridge in the 1990s, the loss of Coffee Connection was still a blow which affected me daily for five years. Although I did meet some great Starbucks people in that time. #firstworldproblems, etc

[quote=“popobawa4u, post:23, topic:98038”]
He had a non-competition clause in effect for quite a few years.[/quote]
That didn’t keep anyone else from opening a shop. Howell credits Starbucks with the customer service model he adopted in the late 80s, so much of what you enjoyed from CC was really *$. Howell even stayed on as a consultant for several years, and under his influence the shops in Boston offered the lighter-roasted coffees he favored.

Maybe arguable for a brief time back in the day, but Elvis has had a long and extraordinary career. Same thing for Beatles vs Stones. Stones have kept it up for half a century, the last album of old blues is a joy, hard to believe it’s made by a bunch of grandpas.

1 Like

I used to go to Harvard Square a lot in my youth, it was great. I now I occasionally go to Harvard Square :tm:. Most of my best bumper stickers were purchased on the next floor from that picture, up at Newbury Comics, which used to be cool. Cooler than Strawberries, at least.

hotbuttons are things that changed in Massachusetts, wedge is that it’s still better here :stuck_out_tongue:

Well played!

1 Like

That’s quite a low bar!

Newbury Comics and Tower I would visit occasionally. Usually I would spend hours in the used music stores such as Mystery Train, Second Coming, Pipeline, etc. I spent an insane amount of time and money amassing a collection of books and music which was all stolen one day. I am more selective now!

3 Likes

I spent that money on girls, and to the same effect. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes