Serious hotbutton wedge issue!

It was useful enough a few posts ago when you characterized US culture and libertarianism as being individualist. For the sake of convenience, I find it a useful distinction to say that I tend towards collectivism - rather than need to explain my views upon property, government, civic participation, etc over and over whenever I try talking with someone (although unfortunately that happens anyway). Both individualists and collectivists (if you will) alike consider their frame of reference to be in some way social. I am not attached to the term, but it can be useful and save time.

ETA: [quote=“nemomen, post:37, topic:98038”]
With the bizarre world of the internet where a ton of people variously socialized with many and various values, mores, manners, and communication styles, part of effective communication comes out of being able to articulate one’s values, mores, etc.
[/quote]

I tried touching upon that in another topic. I find it easier to recognize different types of inculturation, than it is to get other people to agree to! These continua are suggested by Livermore in his TTC series on cultural intelligence.