Shareholder value: world's dumbest idea

Substitute “average American” for Libertarian.

Personally, I like simplicity too. I think Kant’s Categorical Imperative, Spinoza’s geometric proof, and benign parents are all the tools you need to create a worldview that benefits you personally and also everyone around you.

I am in heavy agreement here, which is why I try not to equate attitudes towards regulation with Libertarianism.

And I do find Libertarianism is not without its virtues - it’s absolute focus on personal freedom can be a necessary counter-pull to those like myself that have freedom-reducing statist tendencies meant to address various injustices.

(As I get older, I gain more appreciation for groups that have philosophies for I personally don’t care for. For example, the radical feminist movement of the '60s, with which I might have had many disagreements, was, by their opposition to the crudely patriarchal elements of society back then, absolutely instrumental in producing the far more egalitarian society of today. Being polite and reasonable, both of which I recommend, would have been roundly ignored.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.