Sharing a Netflix password in the UK "may be committing a crime", according to its copyright office

AksHuaLLy you could tranmit from these vans and cause the TV’s local oscillator to resonate, and this could be detected and could tell if a TV was present (and not a radio).

RTÉ used to run adds to shame you into buying a license. Sure what would the neighbors think?

3 Likes

Coincidentally I just participated in a very lengthy SiriusXM survey, it sure seems they are about to address the multiple user thing.

That would be welcome if I could pay just a little more for two listeners of the app to listen at the same time.

Currently it’s not worth it to me to pay for a second app subscription.

Be interesting to see what they come up with.

Maybe Netflix goes that route.

1 Like

I feel like I’m missing something in terms of how this would become a copyright matter between the end user and the rightsholder. Netflix is the one with the license agreements and the one doing the streaming; so long as you aren’t ripping streams (which would be an issue regardless of whether the account was overshared or not) the copyright issues are all between netflix and the rightsholders. Netflix might do anything from cancel the account, to pursue some breach of contract claim, to claim unauthorized access in the sense of something analogous to the CFAA; but those wouldn’t be copyright actions.

Does the UK have a special flavor of infringement for activity that occurs under license but is marred by a different flavor of irregularity somewhere downstream? Is stealing DVDs also a copyright matter?

I don’t know that there is anything particularly UK about it but every time a film is streamed, that creates a copy. A temporary copy but a copy nevertheless.

If you create that copy in accordance with an effective chain of valid licences between you and the copyrightholder, that is fine.

If there is no such chain - and breaching the terms of the Netflix licence would break that chain - then creating that copy is a breach of copyright.

Like so many things in this world.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.