Shetland space launch plans submitted

Man, rocketry has come a long way.

I mean, I assume this means 360 days a year of heavy cloud cover and a 30-mile-an-hour minimum wind speed are no longer considered a problem.

4 Likes
1 Like

Who is the sicko planning on putting a poor pony on a rocket??

3 Likes

Well, the UK did have its own space programme back in the day of course. Even launched they’re own satellite.

1 Like

If they have a pony, why do they need a rocket?

5 Likes

They used to test the rockets near Carlisle, which was almost unbelievable growing up there in the 80s and 90s.

3 Likes

I can imagine. A UK space agency feels more surreal than the thought that we used to have a train line running through the area before the mass privatisation and dismantling after the Beeching cuts.

1 Like

A pretty poor location for launching geostationary satellites. But may be better placed to put satellites into Molniya orbits or other HEO orbits. Maybe some earth-mapping stuff too.

Also, what was the Eddie Izzard line? The British space program could barely afford to put a man in a tracksuit up a ladder?

3 Likes

Carlisle’s train station just adds to the surrealism there.

An big eight platform station (it used to have more platforms) in a place that felt like the last peaceful place on earth you wanted to be.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.