Shoshana Zuboff discusses her new book, "Surveillance Capitalism"

Certainly, but who said rural? It’s agri-culture on an industrial scale. In the UK, everything’s being privatised and money which used to be recirculated by local councils is being siphoned into offshore tax havens. Old-people farming is especially popular with the private care home providers using cheap local labour paid for by public funding. It’s kind of genius, taking advantage of a near inexhaustible supply of the raw materials.

2 Likes

Halleluja! Now lets dismantle the fuck out of the existing political economy.

2 Likes

Bought it and reading it right now.
Her 2015 paper is quite good introducing the key ideas about SC : Big Other: Surveillance Capitalism and the Prospects of an Information Civilization
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2594754

I mean, if you’re talking Sidney Mintz’s argument that capitalism starts with mass production of agricultural goods in the Caribbean (and cotton production in the american south), I’m probably with you, then.

Got to squeeze every second of value out of your labor supply, yeah? /s

2 Likes

I don’t understand why someone is giving a book review without reading the book despite the caveat that he didn’t read it. I am reading it now…and the author of this review of a book he hasn’t read could have improved his review by simply reading the table of contents in the book. I don’t care if the author gave a summary…she wrote a whole book bc as the expert, she believed it took a book of that length to explain her entire integrated theory. I’m still trying to understand why an author would allow someone to essentially write a book review based on a summary…even one by the author. Unfair and unfortunate.

TEDDY ROOSEVELT RUINED EVERYTHING

2 Likes

“I admire its purity”

Interesting critique in this thread:

1 Like

The creation of borders (as we know them) and documents such as passports are also technologies of control and surveillance.

His book looks interesting, but not sure how secret it is (the military history of the internet).

2 Likes

Even the critical reviews function as accidental endorsements:

2 Likes

One needs no authorization from anybody to write a book review. If you are interested in the key ideas in Zuboff’s reasoning, and are not satisfied with Doctorow, read the paper, the FAZ interview (both on her website) and the Guardian’s with John Naughton. They’re brief and enjoyable.

Thank you so much, Blau. I will check them out. I’ve been enjoying the very long book from Zubroff. These concepts are not ones I always understand. But I don’t want to get lost in society as I get older. I have fear that if I don’t keep up, I may be left behind somehow. Thx again for taking time to reply.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.