Silverpush says it's not in the ultrasonic audio-tracker ad-beacons business anymore

[Read the post]

ā€œā€¦ SilverPushā€™s decision has nothing to do with privacy concerns at all, because it was ā€˜never intrudingā€¦ [on] privacy and adhering to all regulations.ā€ SilverPush also claims that its audio beacon matching was ā€œdone with user consent.ā€™ā€

6 Likes

Better take off and nuke the site from orbit. Itā€™s the only way to be sure.

6 Likes

Silverpushā€¦ uses ultrasonic chirps that are emitted by apps, websites, and TV commercialsā€¦

(Thatā€™s from the original post here: http://boingboing.net/2015/11/13/startup-uses-ultrasound-chirps.html)

So websites and TVs are already emitting these chirps? Is this a real thing? Because, if so, I would say detecting them isnā€™t the problem. The problem is having our browsers broadcast information about our habits in the audio band.

EDIT: No itā€™s not a thing. I had to click through a few layers, but both the receive and the send are SilverPush technologies, and pretty much hypothetical for now.

I mean why else would you suddenly just disown a technology you tried to pioneerā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad to hear that SilverPush has said they wonā€™t do this, although Iā€™m suspicious because this seems like their entire business model. However, there are other companies pursuing this technology ā€“ is anyone watching them? For example, LISNR is moving from live events into broadcast, with support from a Cisco incubator program.

LISNRā€™s technology enhances the fan experience during the broadcast or at the live event.

1 Like

Is it just me, or did anyone else note that that is a very specific denial.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.