Sir Clive Sinclair, 1940–2021

Originally published at: Sir Clive Sinclair, 1940–2021 | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Apparently there is still signage up on one of his old buildings in town. I’ll have to go looking for it.

7 Likes

Also, if anyone is interested, here’s a library of ZX-81 software you can try in the browser: Software Library: ZX81 Games : Free Software : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive

16 Likes

My first machine was a Timex-Sinclair 1000. Without it I doubt I’d be where I am today. RIP Sir Clive.

15 Likes

Long live the maker!

21 Likes

Sir Clive was a true maker. The ZX81 was a thing of beauty back in the day.

10 Likes

Anybody who wasn’t terrified by the T-Rex in Monster Maze on the original ZX81 is lying. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

It’s STILL nerve-wracking.

4 Likes

Same! I loved that little machine.

My grandfather got it from some time share presentation (he and grandma would go for a “dinner and show”; they’d get a free meal and giggles from the timeshare concept (they built their own cabin on a plot of land they bought on a lake for what a time share would cost), and the free gift was part of their Christmas shopping.) Came with the 16K expansion adapter, a tape cassette player, and a thermal ribbon printer.

It was a seriously weird “we got you a computer for Christmas” gift for the early 90s, but it was awesome. Wrote a word processing program in Sinclair basic, and used linear algebra to make a 3D shooter “game,” and had all sorts of fun.

I seriously pined for the TS2068, though its day had long passed by the time I learned it existed. In a weird twist of fate, I found one in a dumpy state run shop in Kazakhstan. I considered picking it up, but it was the polish version and geared for region 2 TVs, so I ultimately decided not to buy.

9 Likes

Yeah, many Brits of a certain vintage had their first computing experience futzing about on a Spectrum while looking on with envy at the higher priced alternatives select friends may have had.

13 Likes

I also had a 2068! Really wish I had hung on to that one - I didn’t realize that even at the time they were pretty rare, having only been in production for less than a year. They go for a FORTUNE on Ebay, if they even show up. But as much fun as I had with the 2068, the 1000 is still my first love. :heart:

3 Likes

How we got ours, although we only got the computer.

6 Likes
11 Likes

My first computer was a TS1000 that I bought at K-Mart for $50. It was a closeout sale, so no returns.
It would work fine for awhile, then overheat & crash. That membrane keyboard took getting used to, but I liked the multifunctionality of the keys.
Farewell, Sir Clive.

7 Likes

Here’s a video game about him:

5 Likes
6 Likes

Many of us got our grubby hands on our very first computer when the ZX81 arrived in the local branch of WH Smith.

I wonder how many millionaire game makers in the UK owe their success to the arrival of the Sinclair machines? Before then, we could only look in envy across the Pond and could never imagine owning an Apple II. The Spectrum was a magnificent achievement.

10 Likes

Absolutely. I had a ZX81 first then a 16k Speccy, later upgraded to 48k. Never envied anyone for any other microcomputer - as far as I was concerned I was onto a winner. The particular shade of cyan that was one of the eight built-in colours still makes me calm and happy. Never had a problem with the “dead flesh” keys. Genuinely loved the look and feel of the machine and its graphics. An artistic pinnacle in popular consumer electronics.

Now, a moment of BEEP 200, 1 for Sir Clive please

10 Likes

I’m hoping that he has asked for his hearse to be one of his old products.

5 Likes

If he is cremated, someone can drive and he can ride shot-gun, in an ash earn.

3 Likes