Sixth grader sells artisanal Diceware passwords

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2015/10/25/sixth-grader-sells-artisinal-d.html

I want to adopt her. Is she for sale?

3 Likes

Headline in 2 years: “Teen diary hacked, dozens of passwords at risk”

10 Likes

Unfortunately, the comment in the sales blurb left out one word:

" USPS, ‘which cannot be legally opened by the government without a search warrant.’ "

Unless you ask that expert lawyer from the Cheney-Rumsfeld Administration, John Yoo.

6 Likes

She could use tamper-evident envelopes.

6 Likes

Perhaps just sign the seal and email a photo of it?

1 Like

Great idea, it supports quite nicely the hand-made passwords spiel!

3 Likes

The typo in “password business” is worrying in such a precision-driven market. What if she generates a password and sends me a slightly different one by mistake? Chaos ensues.

3 Likes

Typo? She clearly meant buis, the French translation for boxwood. Very artisanal, many white chess pieces are made of boxwood.

6 Likes

Surely you mean artisinal, as in the headline.

1 Like

Let me guess: Artisinal is the more individualistic form of artistic expression?

1 Like

You’re hired.

6 Likes

That’s good practice! A deliberate spelling error will confound brute force dictionary attacks! :wink:

4 Likes

The company I work for makes tech that uses encryption keys. Surprisingly, the process of putting these on a device is very manual. It involves two people who are armed and in a secure facility. Each has part of the key only, sent by different mail services to each installer. Her service hinges on precisely the same thing theirs does, which is she is a trusted provider.

5 Likes

It’s too hard to roll dice and look up the diceware password. I choose child labor to accomplish this task for me! Go laziness! Go child labor! Go trusting somebody I never met with my bank password! Are people this stupid?

From the original post:

[quote]Modi’s business serves a lot of her friends, who are prone to choosing
weak social media passwords and sharing them with one other.[/quote]

Seems to be appropriate for the market being served.

4 Likes

Obligatory…

Shit, I can’t even choose good usernames!

Order placed.

3 Likes

Yuuup! It is amazing how manual, slow, and inefficient it all feels. But I also understand why every step is there. (Former key officer, most boring job ever)

2 Likes

My only problem is running up against those situations where you “must include a lowercase and uppercase and numeral and a special character and the blood of a virgin and three notarized letters” requirements for password generation. I’m already great at throwing long strings of random words together and memorizing them…

2 Likes