Sleep is a brain-repair mechanism, new study proves

2 Likes

I’ve coped with insomnia my entire adult life. Waking up from a good night’s sleep is one my most cherished experiences.

11 Likes

It’s becoming increasingly clear that everyone would be much better off with regular exercise and regular sleep. However, these two things seem to be really hard to do for a lot of people. If a pill could be sold that did all the good things that exercise or sleep could do those inventors would be instant millionaires (billionaires?).

4 Likes

Because you’re a sleepless transparent zebrafish chromosome spy, or because you commanded all the chromosomes to chill out and do your solid-state model of computing? Said with enough humor to suggest you’re not horribly fucked. Maybe you meant we all need new wristwatches that not only remind us to have a pulse but to say how kinked or unkinked representative chromosomes are, and can declare a ‘code angora’ mode where it floofs out and lets us nap right there.

KathyPadilla> Benjamin Franklin slept just four hours a night. …

Chris Hardwick too, maybe. But he isn’t 84 * n (:n>1) y.o. yet and is merely an entertaINment geNIus, though I might’ve just missed the ID10T podcast where they say nobody would ever need more than 4031 yards of twine to automate their house and barn.

7 Likes

Read “Why We Sleep” by Matthew Walker.

You will never willingly miss sleep again. The book explains just how active we are in our sleep.

1 Like

His pothole repair department was on the ball.

7 Likes

No real surprise here, I always called going to sleep “performing necessary chron jobs.”

Me: “I’m going to take my input systems offline to perform daily maintenance tasks and run diagnostics.”
Her: “Huh?”
Me: “I’m going to go to sleep now.”
Her: groans in disgust

13 Likes

I think this is a result of evolving from carnivorous/omnivorous mammals, where sleep can coincide with digestion. Sleep also saves energy, so sleep is a good way to use digestion downtime to perform maintenance checks throughout the body. If you sleep after hard exertion, well, your muscles use the sleep phase to regenerate as well. Our ancestors had the luxury of downtime between meals unlike, say, herbivores, so those whose brains used it more for sleep routines ended up with an edge.

4 Likes
1 Like

tumblr_ngq8tfgav51u1pgc1o1_500

7 Likes
1 Like

“Proof” is a very strong claim, and is rarely screen in science.

These are not strong claims.

2 Likes

Roger that.

2 Likes

Yes.:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Things in Philly have gone way downhill since then. It’s potholes - all the way down.

5 Likes

https://www.supermemo.com/en/articles/polyphasic

Came here to say this.

And to point out that dozing through research methodology classes never made anyone smarter.

Whoever cajoled them into making it a B-side, has no sense of humor.

1 Like

There’s a great version of My Brain on the “Bootleg Detroit” Album.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.