Small sub has vanished with 5 people on board who went to see the Titanic

Indeed!

7 Likes

Featuring a young Bill Bixby.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Rupert Neudeck would like to have a word.

2 Likes

Healthy people can survive for about three weeks without food. Without water, five days max.

ETA: survival guidelines taught to me in Scouts - you can survive three weeks without food, three days without water, three hours without clothing and shelter, three minutes without oxygen, and three seconds without hope.

6 Likes

Everyone does have a right to rescue at sea, or anywhere else, frankly, but it’s revealing to compare the media attention and naval effort expended on a sub with a few billionaires on board with the case of the refugee boat which sank near Greece last week, drowning 100 children.

At any rate, the Titan reportedly runs out of air at 10 GMT today, so clearly there is no time to rescue them even if they are still alive.

10 Likes

Or from outside without the right tool.

1 Like

First thing I thought of when the news broke was Fear Is The Key, a classic/typical Alistair McLean 70s thriller, which concludes with a harrowing scene in a stricken sub.

The well-liked film adaptation, starring the recently deceased Barry Newman, scared the hell out of me when I was young.

3 Likes

7 Likes

So they are now dead.

2 Likes

Next best case scenario would be that the vehicle is recovered this morning and Rush is still alive, covered in piss and shit (other 4 found with strangulation marks). Morbid, but the possibility remains that one of them could still make it :grimacing:

1 Like
1 Like
4 Likes

This morning there was a radio interview with some expert who postulated that if the occupants were all experiencing full hypothermia (the sub would be near-freezing right now) that maybe their metabolism would be slowed enough to keep oxygen consumption down. But that seems like quite the reach, and “hey, maybe they’re just nearly dead from hypothermia!” isn’t an especially optimistic take when we still don’t know where they are.

9 Likes
3 Likes

5 Likes

I’m not expecting survivors; but I’m slightly interested in the fact that media reports continue to quote the 5-person oxygen supply number; despite the fact that this probably wouldn’t even be the first “realigning headcount with market conditions” for a decent percentage of the passengers.

5 Likes

Billionaires don’t kill people, you know. Take actions that will lead to their deaths, sadly all the time; give orders to have them killed, I can certainly see; but actually do the work with their own hands? No way.

3 Likes

Multi-millionaires, at best. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Debris field found - US Coast Guard

A debris field has been discovered within the search area by an ROV near the Titanic, the US Coast Guard has just announced.

Experts within the unified command are evaluating the information.

We will bring you more details shortly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65967464

5 Likes